Discuss Need opinionsdangerous installation? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

watkin1302

Hi Iam not an electriacian, however I had one come yesterday and my stupid landlord won't listen to what he has to say, but I dont understand so need you to tell me - is it dangerous (sounds it to me!)

So he came to check my washing machine (he's a British Gas electrician) and he tested before he looked at it. This is what he wrote:
Earth Loop Impedance to High. No RCD Protection (PME required) DO NOT use washer.

When he was testing it, he said something about it should do something at 400 (i think, trip?) but he was putting 4000 thru and it wasnt doing what it should.

He said if the washer drum touches the element and I am touching it ot what ever cos its not earthing right it will electrocute me.

So I told my landlord this and he says it is nonsense as he has a certificate saying its all safe, but I am unhappy thinking I can get shocked.....it is an old house by the way.

SO please could someone explain what he has written means, so I can tell the landlord! I am 8 weeks off having a baby and this is the last thing I need - I just want the house safe!

Thank you EVER so much

Lisa :)

To be honest your landlord has a duty of care to ensure the electrical installation is safe to use.

Now, BG are not known for their electrical skills (why would they?) and it sounds like he was quoting disconnection times for an RCD protected circuit (X5 40ms).

It sounds to me like you need to insist that you see the copy of the safety certificate and maybe get in touch with the contractor who issued it and discuss any issues with him.

Yes RCD protection is now required but does not always mean that the supply needs to be PME.

Do you have fuses or MCB's (trip switches?).

To be honest your landlord has a duty of care to ensure the electrical installation is safe to use.

Now, BG are not known for their electrical skills (why would they?) and it sounds like he was quoting disconnection times for an RCD protected circuit (X5 40ms).

It sounds to me like you need to insist that you see the copy of the safety certificate and maybe get in touch with the contractor who issued it and discuss any issues with him.

Yes RCD protection is now required but does not always mean that the supply needs to be PME.

Do you have fuses or MCB's (trip switches?).

I have a white box with switches in, says Gewiss on the outside, it has 7 switches, underneath is written smoke alarm, sockets x2, shower, cooker, rccd mains
However i am dubious about why the number 5 says shower, as my shower goes off and the number 8 flicks down, which has rccd mains under it??

p.s the shower was put in new, which is why i assume this one has rcd and the other bits dont?

Last edited by a moderator:
So have you had a problem with the electrics tripping when you are using the washing machine in general or a problem with the electrics tripping normally?

Well yes, the shower should have the RCD protection, but if the RCD is tripping out when you use the shower then there is a possible fault either with the wiring or the shower itself.

All circuits should now have RCD protection but at the very least, the sockets should have.

You do need to contact your landlord about this and maybe if he sends a (proper) sparky round, he can look at the shower at the same time.

So have you had a problem with the electrics tripping when you are using the washing machine in general or a problem with the electrics tripping normally?

the main thing that trips the number 8 switch (label says rccd mains) is the shower, apparently the landlords electrician is coming to sort this out next week (so I may ask him about what the BG man said). once it has flicked the switch off we cant use the shower for ages.

The only other thing that makes it trip is when bulbs pop - quite often I have to say :confused:

the washer has never tripped anything, and it has been faulty for a couple of weeks now, the banging started quiet and now is really loud, but not using it now.

Maybe I am over reacting (hormones lol!) as I am here on my own (other half snowboarding in Canada - nice but not when pregnant!)

:
Earth Loop Impedance to High. No RCD Protection (PME required) DO NOT use washer.

Uummm ok Impedance to high, no protection, just don't use the washer.............What was the next recommendation by this BG spark??

Uummm ok Impedance to high, no protection, just don't use the washer.............What was the next recommendation by this BG spark??

he said to contact my electric supplier and ask them to put in a PME, which he said would cost about £30 - and he is coming back next week to add the new drum

I called Scot Power, and they said call BG who then ask Scot Power to do it...but BG put me through to the electrical dept who were busy and said would call back!

I would get the spark thats coming round to run some proper tests on the system to make sure that its upto scratch.

Check the shower for any faults and size of cable supplying the shower to the actual shower rating.

thanks guys, I will ask the sparky man to test it all when he comes, see what he says - and in the meantime, not touch anything lol!

the shower would trip the main rcd if there was a n-e fault and the trip will go if a "bulb" pops as there is a fault for a fraction of a second

it could be that the shower cable is not big enough for the shower too, take Warrens advice and pass his comments on to the sparky when he turns up, and good luck with everything.

Reply to Need opinionsdangerous installation? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock