Discuss Need some advice about extractor fan installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have no electrical experience whatsoever, but I have a question about some wiring that was done for my mum.
My mum had some work done in her home by a not so respectable person and I was wondering who is responsible for reporting it. I think it falls under Part P.

He installed a new extractor fan in the downstairs toilet, where there was just an old plaster vent. The new fan only switches on and spins if the toilet light is on... it doesn't work independently.

I don't think he is qualified to do the work and won't reply to phone calls or texts, so I can't get an answer out of him. My pensioner mum paid upfront before he began the work and only called me once he disappeared.

I'm reading up on Part P but am not 100% sure who is at fault when it comes to reporting the work before it is carried out. My mum - the home owner or the builder? He was originally hired to treat damp.

Thanks for any helpful words.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Extractor fans can work in many ways. Some have a timer and only work when the room light is on.
What did you mum ask for?
Do you have a written quote?
Do you know the electricians name?
Is he part of a scheme, like NICIEC, Stroma....? If so then you could contact them and tell them your worries.
Did your mum get a Minor Work Certificate from the electrician?
What makes you think he isn't qualified to do the work?

If the toilet fan is connected to an existing lighting circuit and in a toilet without a bath or shower it is not notifiable to building control under part P. However part P requires all electrical work in dwellings to comply with Bs7671....(the 'regs'). This would include issuing a Minor Works certificate to your Mother. Unless the work carried out is unsafe it is very unlikely that any action will be taken, there is no requirement for the installer to be qualified, only competent. It is quite usual for a toilet fan to operate with the light.

A downstairs toilet doesn't fall under Part 'P' notification due there not being a bath or shower in the room.
The fan coming on with the light is fine.The run on your thinking about is for in bathrooms to remove the steam generated by a bath or shower.You could have a run on in a toilet to remove the smells but is not an essential requirement.
The issue here is whether your mum overpaid him for what he did and also did he do it properly and safely.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Extractor fans can work in many ways. Some have a timer and only work when the room light is on.
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I lived a flat where the fan came on along side the light when switched on, because it was meant to, but there was no extractor fan here in the first place. Just a cheese grater style holes - no moving parts.

What did you mum ask for?
Damp proofing in the toilet. I just spoke to him today, almost gave up waiting for him, he said he suggested adding the fan after also replacing the toilet with a cheaper poorer version. Both of which my mum didn't ask for.

Do you have a written quote?
No, just a verbal agreement between him and my mum. He got her trust by claiming to be a good christian, like her.

Do you know the electricians name?
Dave... I'm sure it's not his real name. He had to think about it for a second.

Is he part of a scheme, like NICIEC, Stroma....? If so then you could contact them and tell them your worries.
I doubt it, but I will ask if I ever see him again.

Did your mum get a Minor Work Certificate from the electrician?
No, she didn't. I don't know what that is, I'll look it up.

What makes you think he isn't qualified to do the work?
He said he was a handyman.

Thanks for your help!

If the toilet fan is connected to an existing lighting circuit and in a toilet without a bath or shower it is not notifiable to building control under part P.
I think he added some wires and piggy-backed off the light switch's circuit as there was no extractor fan in the first place. It was just a few holes in the wall for breeze to pass through. The light socket, holding the bulb, itself still has not been re-seated.

However part P requires all electrical work in dwellings to comply with Bs7671....(the 'regs'). This would include issuing a Minor Works certificate to your Mother. Unless the work carried out is unsafe it is very unlikely that any action will be taken, there is no requirement for the installer to be qualified, only competent. It is quite usual for a toilet fan to operate with the light.
Yeah, she has no certificate, or record of anything.

Thanks for your help!

How did your mum get hold of this electrician? Church, paper, facebook..?
What was the problem in the toilet room?
What did your mum ask for?

A downstairs toilet doesn't fall under Part 'P' notification due there not being a bath or shower in the room.
The fan coming on with the light is fine.The run on your thinking about is for in bathrooms to remove the steam generated by a bath or shower.You could have a run on in a toilet to remove the smells but is not an essential requirement.
The issue here is whether your mum overpaid him for what he did and also did he do it properly and safely.

That is my biggest concern, whether or not it was done safely. I asked him if he is a qualified electrician and he said his mate did the work. I asked if his mate was qualified, he didn't answer, just said he would sort it out.

She's coughed up nearly £1800 so far, for damp proofing in the downstairs toilet but he advised her a fan would also be a good idea to help extract moisture. He threw in a new toilet, which wasn't needed or asked for, for an extra charge.

Thanks for your help!

How did your mum get hold of this electrician? Church, paper, facebook..?
What was the problem in the toilet room?
What did your mum ask for?

A church friend of hers recommended him.

The plaster was peeling off from damp. There is a reservoir running under her home and it is a problem for the entire neighbourhood there.

She asked for the downstairs toilet's walls to be treated and replastered. She asked him to do the living room as well. That's it. So, I got to speak to him today. He is a stubborn, condescending person.

Reply to Need some advice about extractor fan installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock