Discuss Need Some Advice / Guidance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Corbs

-
Reaction score
Right some back story

we rent a unit, 3 years ago they upgraded/updated the old consumer unit (metal, pull out fuses to a crappy plastic crabtree ) as they said they needed to for new regs / insurances etc

now get a letter through as there 3 years old there due for inspection and testing (the normal lot) thats fine

they come out 2 hours later they say your failed right ok what on

1, sockets arnt earthed (10 or so sockets fed from 20mm conduit and thats fed from 50x50 galv trunking they say it requires its own cpc (check pic out)

my question are they correct or does the conduit and trunking surphise / accactable and why didnt they pick this up when they changed the board ?

2, my 3 phase spot welder isnt earth and you cant use the swa as an earth as it doesnt have banjos on the metal boxes either end so need to be re run

my question i think this is bollox but at most it just needs banjos fitting

right or wrong?

the install was done 20 or so years ago if it matters by a commercially sparky

pics below

any questions or more pics just ask

ta shaun

Need Some Advice / Guidance image1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Need Some Advice / Guidance image2.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Need Some Advice / Guidance image3.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Need Some Advice / Guidance image4.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

What testing did they do?if any, did they say the installation had failed verbally, or via an EICR document. If what you're saying is correct, it sounds like these guys a right outfit, come back with pics of the report sheets and the EIC certificate for the board change.

Last edited:
tbh dont have a clue all was done with a mft thats as much info i could get off them, They didnt leave any paperwork with me for either the board change (3 years ago) or what they did on this inspection

which i though they have too being rented esp a board change

tbh dont have a clue all was done with a mft thats as much info i could get off them, They didnt leave any paperwork with me for either the board change (3 years ago) or what they did on this inspection

which i though they have too being rented esp a board change
Did you order the work on behalf of you're Land Lord, or did you bypass him altogether? Looking more than likely these guys are Cowboys, if the Land Lord requested the work ask Him for a copy of both the Report and the Certificate, do you know if they belonged to any of the Competent Persons Schemes (NICEIC, STROMA, NAPIT, ECA etc)

It is perfectly acceptable for the armour of a swa cable and metal containment such as steel conduit and trunking to be used as an earth providing its continuity is satisfactory. The swa cable should be fitted with "banjos" though.

Did you order the work on behalf of you're Land Lord, or did you bypass him altogether? Looking more than likely these guys are Cowboys, if the Land Lord requested the work ask Him for a copy of both the Report and the Certificate, do you know if they belonged to any of the Competent Persons Schemes (NICEIC, STROMA, NAPIT, ECA etc)

sorry didnt answer one of your q in the last it was verbally until he typed up the report for the landlord

and landlord arranged everything

tell me about it they didnt know how to wire up / from a 3 phase supply and said my 3ph welder was dangerous due to it only having 1.5mm hr flex needs 2.5mm only pulling 10 amps :D

and as soon i get anything from the landlord i will post it up

see the situation i dont want is the landlord coming back and saying my install is dangerous when its not and the landlord changing me to put it right on the basis of the muppets who tested it

niceic top right on the board :)

It is perfectly acceptable for the armour of a swa cable and metal containment such as steel conduit and trunking to be used as an earth providing its continuity is satisfactory. The swa cable should be fitted with "banjos" though.

as i thought and thats fine as i thought, so the gland and nut isnt really acceptable for earthing (yes the armor is terminated correctly)

Sounds like they are trying to hold you prisoner for your cert by making you pay them to do 'remedial' works. Seems to happen an awful lot. Get a different spark in don't tell him anything on the last one and see what he comes up with!

banjos may not be necessary if the metal casings provide earth continuity and there are flyleads added where neeeded.

whereabouts in wales. one of us may be close to give a 2nd opinion.

Sounds like they are trying to hold you prisoner for your cert by making you pay them to do 'remedial' works. Seems to happen an awful lot. Get a different spark in don't tell him anything on the last one and see what he comes up with!

thats the problem i cant as its rented

Is the landlord paying for the spark but your paying for the work? If your paying you should be able to get whoever you want

landlord is paying for the check / test as weve put the new supplies in for our equipment any changes / not upto regs are coming out of my pocket

same goes if anythings wrong with his side he has to pay

right had an hour to spare

tested from the earth point in the isolator (spot welder end) to armoured sheath and got continuity

other end tested from earth point on the fused supply to the armoured sheath and got continuity

now tested from earth point in the fused supply to the met and got continuity

my question

from the met to the earth point in the isolator (spot welder side) via a fly lead what resistance roughly if any am i looking at

all depends on the csa of the cable or the armour and it's length. figures can be obtained in the osg.

Reply to Need Some Advice / Guidance in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock