Discuss need some advice on a sauna heater install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wickedwobby

i have got a job were someone has built a wooden sauna in there garden and requires an electrical supply to the heater the only problem i have is that we are all aware of that anything external from from the main property must be rcd protected. Saunas on the other hand tend to trip the rcd quite regually due to water/steam and as it states in bs 7671 reg 703.411.3.3 that rcd protection need not be provided for the sauna heater unless such protection is recommended by the manufacturer. But as this is external from the property i am a little undecided on how to install this i have an idea but would like some re assurance. My plan is to feed a garage unit into garage from the main switch side of a 17th editon split board which will not be rcd protected but will have a suitable rated mcb using an swa under ground to the garage. In the garage i will install 63a main switch then use rcbos for the sockets in garage and lighting for garage and sauna but use an mcb for the sauna heater, does this seem like a suitable instalation or can anbody see any problems with this thanks.

First off where in the regs does it tell us that outside installations have to be RCD protected, they don't.

Additional protection via an RCD is indeed required throughout the regs such as for sockets, cable buried in the wall and special locations, etc etc, but not for outside installation in general.

So yes as you say reg 703.411.3.3 does give you that get out regarding the heater

You obviously know your way around the BGB so the statement about RCD's and external electrics is a little surprising.
Your installation plan sounds fine to me......

Last edited by a moderator:
i have got a job were someone has built a wooden sauna in there garden and requires an electrical supply to the heater the only problem i have is that we are all aware of that anything external from from the main property must be rcd protected. Saunas on the other hand tend to trip the rcd quite regually due to water/steam and as it states in bs 7671 reg 703.411.3.3 that rcd protection need not be provided for the sauna heater unless such protection is recommended by the manufacturer. But as this is external from the property i am a little undecided on how to install this i have an idea but would like some re assurance. My plan is to feed a garage unit into garage from the main switch side of a 17th editon split board which will not be rcd protected but will have a suitable rated mcb using an swa under ground to the garage. In the garage i will install 63a main switch then use rcbos for the sockets in garage and lighting for garage and sauna but use an mcb for the sauna heater, does this seem like a suitable instalation or can anbody see any problems with this thanks.

Does your sauna contain a light circuit?. If so will this not require additional protection via RCD as stated in reg's.???

Just one point thou. Dont most garage units only have two ways??.

You are proposing three arent you?

Reply to need some advice on a sauna heater install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net