Discuss Need some Advice on Becoming Fully Qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys im 19 ive completed my Levels 2 + 3 Electrical installation and PAT testing at college, ive been looking for apprenticeships for a while, on job sites such as indeed and the gov apprenticeship one and regularly ringing round local companies to try and get a start but no-ones interested or they say they are but never get back to me. So I have been looking at other routes to go down to become qualified and not really got a clear answer, so i want to know if their are other ways to qualify or if theres any better places to find an apprenticeship that i may have missed.

Forget the Pat testing qualification, to be honest it is a nothing worth while and not something Electricians brag about.

My advice is to send letters to every Electrical company in your area asking them for a job to complete your training.

I will stick my head on the block and say someone will look at you, when I was in the trade employing staff I liked enthusiastic people who wanted to make it, when I interviewed staff those who wanted it badly got the job. So go for it, get the letters out and be confident and enthusiastic, the very best of luck to you.

Whilst I appreciate it is frustrating, some things you can consider are other training courses.
If you have a day sat around doing nothing try and get on the manufacturers free training courses, If funds allow or you can get a course loan - do your 2391, do your 18th in the summer if you are still out of work, its about making yourself attractive to employers.
Might be worth working as an electricians mate to get your foot in the door and some experience?
Another thing to think about is work experience, even if unpaid! Write to your hospital, council etc and other big places with on site electricians, even the college you did your 2365 at and ask for work experience for a couple of weeks. You then have experience and got some good references lined up..

Forget the Pat testing qualification, to be honest it is a nothing worth while and not something Electricians brag about.

My advice is to send letters to every Electrical company in your area asking them for a job to complete your training.

I will stick my head on the block and say someone will look at you, when I was in the trade employing staff I liked enthusiastic people who wanted to make it, when I interviewed staff those who wanted it badly got the job. So go for it, get the letters out and be confident and enthusiastic, the very best of luck to you.
Thanks alot for the advice ill try doing that, do you think that theyd look more favourably on a written letter or would an email be the same?

Whilst I appreciate it is frustrating, some things you can consider are other training courses.
If you have a day sat around doing nothing try and get on the manufacturers free training courses, If funds allow or you can get a course loan - do your 2391, do your 18th in the summer if you are still out of work, its about making yourself attractive to employers.
Might be worth working as an electricians mate to get your foot in the door and some experience?
Another thing to think about is work experience, even if unpaid! Write to your hospital, council etc and other big places with on site electricians, even the college you did your 2365 at and ask for work experience for a couple of weeks. You then have experience and got some good references lined up..
Yea they're all good suggestions the working for nothing idea sounds very promising, i didnt actually think about, as the employer would have nothing to lose if i said id give them a hand and as you say its all references thanks alot ill give a try and see how it goes :)

Thanks alot for the advice ill try doing that, do you think that theyd look more favourably on a written letter or would an email be the same?
Write the letters and hand them into reception yourself

You can gain experience working via agencies.
It may only be short term work, even shorter if they decide they don't need you or they don't like you, but for this reason you're more likely to get a chance than them taking you straight on on the cards.

If they do like you they may offer you a permanent job - a sort of 'try before you buy', or in the worst case you will have gained a bit of experience, then on the next job you might make a better impression.

Reply to Need some Advice on Becoming Fully Qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net