Discuss Need some advice on safe wires? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me whether these wires are suitable for a non experienced individual to be near or exposed too if they have no knowledge. We were told by our landlord to access the thermostat shown but the wires surrounding it are live and need insulating (nothing about insulating wires was mentioned). I myself, would not know to isolate live wires... I am just wondering if this is deemed safe? Thanks!

Need some advice on safe wires? 734932ca-7efe-4531-b518-0e1a2b4722b8 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. But when you take the panel off, it has a warning sign which I will attach on the back of the panel (put on by the manufacturer). I just think that an individual like myself, who hasn't got a clue about wires or electricity etc. should be having to unscrew to panels to get access to it then be having to mess about with something I haven't even been given the manual for also whilst being near live wires that I don't know how to isolate?

Thanks so much for your helpful information :D

Need some advice on safe wires? 47697058-df5c-4c2b-8f49-b1859c8c3366 - EletriciansForums.net

Need some advice on safe wires? 64a561ba-c0b2-4c53-96d5-b9406e8a3f89 - EletriciansForums.net

Need some advice on safe wires? c0882439-8138-4531-ab93-c0adaf1d6a50 - EletriciansForums.net

Need some advice on safe wires? bdfd5fe8-7de7-4530-a23a-22f9d30fdd20 - EletriciansForums.net

There should be a cover, with perhaps a dial on the front that slots onto the blue dial showing.

If the cover is missing, then the LL should replace as soon as possible. It looks like a water heater(?) so you are being asked to adjust the temperature with possibly wet hands?

Cord grip for the flex appears to be missing too.

Hi, thanks for replying! Much appreciated. When we took off the grey panel, that was all that was showing. What is a cord grip for the flex?

Exactly the same thoughts as you... I shouldn't be opening panels with screwdrivers... I wasn't even give an appliance manual. Also, the girls next door tried to go at the thermostat with screwdrivers to try and change it and were unaware they even needed to isolate wires... it is so thoughtless from the landlord. Yes, it is a water cylinder.

It was most certainly safe until we took the cover off. I agree. We took it off because we received our first elec. bill that came to £700 for 2 months of elec. so we phoned the landlord and they said it was not their issue, they think it might be the water cylinder and we should check the programmer... prompting us to open it as shown above.

They have also said we have tampered and shouldn't be opening it... but as you can see by the manuals given to us from landlord from the photos I have attached above... it clearly states that if you need to troubleshoot it then you should check the programmer which they have said is located behind the grey panel on another page...

Thanks!

It looks like it was safe until you took the cover off. Why did you take the cover off?
because it was there. (chris bonnington quote, as when asked why did you climb it?).

... I just think that an individual like myself, who hasn't got a clue about wires or electricity etc. should be having to unscrew to panels to get access to it then be having to mess about with something I haven't even been given the manual for also whilst being near live wires that I don't know how to isolate?
Hi, just to add a little more detail.
All of the wires shown are insulated and thus there is no risk of electric shock from them.
There are no exposed live parts that I can see.
There should be a cable clamp (like those you see inside a plug) to secure the cable and this is not in place - it may be inside on the floor.
The plastic cover should be in place at all times.

It sounds like the landlord has asked you to adjust the temperature of the water to suit your needs. There is no electrical skill required in this, you just switch off the electricity supply at the switch and rotate the blue knob (using a screwdriver which will fit into the notch in the centre) to adjust the temperature up or down. Generally to lower the temperature rotate the knob anti-clockwise and to increase rotate clockwise (to the right).
There are two arrows, one on the knob and one on the outer body. When these arrows are aligned opposite one another, the water temperature will be at a level that the manufacturer considers is ideal for everyday use, and you may want to align them first and see if the temperature is suitable.
Once done you can replace the cover. If you find one, you ideally should place the cable clamp to secure the wire, however as it stands there is no mechanical weight on the cable that would represent a risk to the connections.
Now you can switch back on.
If you still feel uncomfortable then the only solution is to ask your landlord to do it, or get someone who is more confident.

You can indeed turn the temperature down but that may not be enough to defray your costs sufficiently. You mention a controller on the wall? You need to use that controller to put the heating a timed schedule. If your controller cannot do that then you need a timer to be inserted in the circuit. Perhaps have it on at 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. and in the evening for a couple of hours for washing up and so on? Perhaps you could show a picture of the controller if you do have one may be able to assist further.

….It was most certainly safe until we took the cover off. I agree. We took it off because we received our first elec. bill that came to £700 for 2 months of elec. so we phoned the landlord and they said it was not their issue, they think it might be the water cylinder and we should check the programmer... prompting us to open it as shown above.

They have also said we have tampered and shouldn't be opening it... but as you can see by the manuals given to us from landlord from the photos I have attached above... it clearly states that if you need to troubleshoot it then you should check the programmer which they have said is located behind the grey panel on another page...Thanks!
The programmer they refer to is the one which you use to set up the on and off times, this is normally with the main boiler if its gas central heating or near the meter/consumer unit, but not always so be prepared to look around.
The pictures you have supplied show the water heater thermostat which is completely different. This sets the temperature which looks if it is at maximum.
So, you need to find the control unit for the heating and see what it shows. It could be that it is set to run constantly.
If you moved in so recently did you obtain a moving in reading for gas/electricity ? If not then you could be paying for previously used supplies. As a new consumer the utility should have asked you to supply an opening reading. If you have this compare it to the reading now. They could have used estimated readings prior to you taking over, or they may have estimated your potential usage, or they may have made an input error on your reading.

Speak to the utility about the situation and ask then to send someone to inspect the installation if they insist that the amount charged is correct, as someone could have cut into your supply and be using your electricity for themselves.

Definitely this situation requires a much deeper investigation with a bill so high.

Hmm. It looks like my first attempt at advice was a little off, as I hadn't received the second post with the extra photographs. Missed in the interweb somewhere.

So the cover isn't missing, And the instructions are there.

Everyone else is right. Isolate power - remove cover - adjust temperature - replace cover - turn on - test temperature.

£700 is a tad high. What is the house heated with? Electric panel heaters? If these are on 24/7 on full with windows open, there could be an issue

Is your meter tariff set by the landlord ? If so I believe there is a maximum price he can set.
I am a bit rusty on this now , but it may be worth checking.

£700 sounds a bit steep. Its a 3kw water heater. If you were completly emptying the cylinders hot water it takes about an hour to reheat the cylinder which would be 3kw in energy. The average kw Price of electric today is about 15p . 15p per kw times 3 is 45 pence. So if you completly empty the cylinder three times a day it would cost about £1.35 a day. So for two 31 day months that would be £83.7. The water heater in the picture looks very small maybe 120 litre. An average 8 minute shower uses about 56 litres.

£700 sounds a bit steep. Its a 3kw water heater. If you were completly emptying the cylinders hot water it takes about an hour to reheat the cylinder which would be 3kw in energy. The average kw Price of electric today is about 15p . 15p per kw times 3 is 45 pence. So if you completly empty the cylinder three times a day it would cost about £1.35 a day. So for two 31 day months that would be £83.7. The water heater in the picture looks very small maybe 120 litre. An average 8 minute shower uses about 56 litres.

just read the title.only safe wires i ever done were connected via a timer to a detonator in some semtex.

Reply to Need some advice on safe wires? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock