Discuss Need some basic electrical wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have recently purchased a glass display stand in which the centre shelfs rotate. There are also 3 bulbs at the top. The display stand wasn't in the best condition and some wiring was missing and overall wasn't working. I'm hoping for some help and advice to fix this. I've attached some images to help. The motor doesn't work at all and the bulbs aren't wired properly in the first place to see if they're working.Need some basic electrical wiring help CCE087A3-B0C6-4F12-8B1A-82770782D20C - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help EF034D61-C891-46B6-90A1-9C2C5D7BA055 - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help E8D932AE-FD07-4B7B-97CE-A4CD54EE108E - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help A5236227-F5B8-4EB6-A3AE-98B5B9B89712 - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help CCE087A3-B0C6-4F12-8B1A-82770782D20C - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help EF034D61-C891-46B6-90A1-9C2C5D7BA055 - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help E8D932AE-FD07-4B7B-97CE-A4CD54EE108E - EletriciansForums.netNeed some basic electrical wiring help A5236227-F5B8-4EB6-A3AE-98B5B9B89712 - EletriciansForums.net

More pics might be helpful.
It looks like you have a plug, connected to a choc block. The motor is wired to the this, along with the transformer for the 12V lights.
What else is connected to the motor? It looks like a resistor?
Do you have anything to test what voltage you have and where?

Ugh! I would throw the 12v adapter out and put 3 new 230v LED luminaires in instead of the halogens. Simples.
If the motor does not turn when mains volts are applied then it is probably dead and you will need to source a replacement (try Ebay).
As this plugs in and if you have it in a place where the public (or employees) will be, then it will need PAT Testing.

Ugh! I would throw the 12v adapter out and put 3 new 230v LED luminaires in instead of the halogens. Simples.
If the motor does not turn when mains volts are applied then it is probably dead and you will need to source a replacement (try Ebay).
As this plugs in and if you have it in a place where the public (or employees) will be, then it will need PAT Testing.

Sounds great! How exactly would I go about powering the LEDs and the replacement motor?

More pics might be helpful.
It looks like you have a plug, connected to a choc block. The motor is wired to the this, along with the transformer for the 12V lights.
What else is connected to the motor? It looks like a resistor?
Do you have anything to test what voltage you have and where?

Yes a resistor is connected. Any specific pictures that might be helpful? I do not have anything to test voltage.

I do not have anything to test voltage.

Hard to test then mate.
Might be good to get yourself a cheap digital meter, if you know how to use one and how to test electrics safely.
Where is this going to be used?

Sounds great! How exactly would I go about powering the LEDs and the replacement motor?

Would these be a suitable replacement?

That's an EAN for the item on Amazon. It won't let me paste the link. Just copy and paste the number into Amazon.

I really do need them to be cool white.

Yes a resistor is connected.

I see a resistor but there also seems to be a capacitor at the terminal block, possibly in series with the motor although it is a 220V motor (many aren't). If that is the case and the motor doesn't work, either the motor itself or the capacitor could be faulty. Clear pics of the motor label, wiring and capacitor markings would be helpful.

None of this wiring or the motor should be exposed in normal use, and the motor might be supposed to be earthed. It is a bodge at the moment.

Reply to Need some basic electrical wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock