Discuss Need some downlight covers for loft...any recommendations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all

Been to a job that's got old non fire rated downlights, LEDs retrofitted but nothing to a) stop things from sitting directly on top of the lamps which still get fairly warm and b) to allow the insulation to be laid properly in loft without covering and touching said lamps.

Looking for a downlight cover, have fitted them before both the fibre type ones and the plastic type box things. Just wondered if anyone had a recommendation for price or ones they like using as haven't really found anything great on google and the fibre ones were about 7 or 8 quid last time I used them. Need 20 odd so would rather use the plastic ones at somewhere around 5 quid a time...if I can find them.

Thanks in advance.

Surely it would be less hassle and cost less to replace the fittings for the type that you think should be in there?
Not really can't justify it, covers @ say £6 a light max plus a couple of hours labour is a lot less than swapping them all out when there isn't really anything wrong with what's there. Either way it's better if they aren't covered over with insulation where they are touching the fitting, I know there are some fittings that can be covered but I usually supply those at around £25 a light plus labour.

Need some downlight covers for loft...any recommendations? 199BC0D4-E28D-4E87-A482-6A2FB183121A - EletriciansForums.net Nature’s bounty - I really have no idea how they can charge so much for very simple moulded covers made of something that doesn’t burn. Ridiculous

Nature’s bounty - I really have no idea how they can charge so much for very simple moulded covers made of something that doesn’t burn. Ridiculous

Even got a hole in the top to release the heat if the tops sit above the insulation.

I recently used plastic covers from Thermahood .... To stop lose insulation coming into contact with downlights

would recommend them

With the gu10 tin hat type fittings the loft insulation isn’t really a major issue as the heat can be dissipated out the front unless it’s an enclosed fitting

I don't really know what you mean by tin hat?

The issue really was that customer wants to reinsulate loft and I wanted to put covers over the lights that are there so they can roll the insulation across. The ones that are there are basically just a lamp held in by the old spring clips with just a ring that you can see from below but nothing above. Don't want to change the fittings as some people have mentioned as that's more labour and materials for what is s pretty basic job of fitting some covers above to keep the insulation off the lights.

Tin hats, tin cans, fire rated fittings..
The gu10 ones only cost a fiver and ones such as the aurora EFD PRO are designed to be ok buried under insulation..
I think I would definitely be able to change all the fittings quicker than I could crawl round the loft faffing about with hoods

Reply to Need some downlight covers for loft...any recommendations? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock