Discuss Need some help, knowledgable people needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

little_duke

Hi All

Im in training to become an electrician, but this is seriously confusing me (and my qualified friend for that matter)

i live in uk (230v supply) but want to buy two lights from America (120v)

after searching on google and asking my mate for help, I'm still none the wiser. So far I've had suggestions to wire the 2 lights in series (120+120=240v)

This all sounds convincing but obviously I don't fancy blowing the fitting up as they're a one off piece.

When reading the fittings they say

9.1 Va
120 volta
60Hz
9.0 w
0.075 Inom

they're LED New York "don't walk" signs. One with the hand and one a walking man like this

ICC/ Dialialight LED Pedestrian Signal Animation

i want to wire them into a spur so they can be switch when I like

are there any step down transformer or anything I can get to power these? I've see the 230v to 12v transformers for downlighting etc

230v/110v site transformer. as long as the lights are OK on 50Hz.

If the lamps are identical you could probably wire then in series to drop 120v across each fitting. Obviously both lights would always work together and if one lamp blows both lights stop working. It could also be problematic if the lights have internal ballasts or driver units.

It would be preferrable to maybe try source some 12v lamps and run them from a standard ELV lighting transformer which would be cheap to buy.

you're over 25, pete, we don't understand. same as some of us young 'uns had a pic. of 4 scousers walking across a zebra crossing up on the bedroom wall.

Agree with Dillb - change the bulbs/fittings for either 240V or ELV 12V stuff. Daz

Only filament lamps can be connected in series to run two 120V types off 240V. As your traffic signals contain electronics, wiring in series will blow them up.

Use a stepdown transformer like this:
Maplin 230V to 110V 100W Voltage Converter | Maplin

I have to ask, why on earth do you want a "don't walk" sign?

Thanks for the marlin link, I'll look at that now. The reason for the sign is simple, I love New York City, the architecture and way of life there. I've just returned from there and want them as a lamp in my room as it's like an art piece

Just checked the link, only problem with that is they don't have plugs on. Just a coloured wire (live) and a white cable (neutral)

here are the fittin

LED MAN WALKING RED HAND WALK / DON'T WALK CROSS WALK SIGNS

http://*******/1gz7KRa

ive paid for them but ideally don't want to gut them

If they,re artwork then that fibre optic coke sign gathering dust in my loft must be worth a few quid then,it's over 30 years old

Reply to Need some help, knowledgable people needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net