Discuss Need some website help.... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Alright lads,

Hope were all having a good afternoon!

Basically, i have a website and a domain name etc, just about managed with my limited knowledge of such things, to scrape through all the forms, internet jargon and confusing drop down menus, and managed to put together a very basic, fairly pants website with the website builder tool, my domain provider supplied with the payment package.

However, im not that happy with the way it looks, and want to re design the page and transfer my domain name over. now like a total tw*t i have just gone and paid £50 for an online website building tool but cant seem to transfer my domain name over to it. Im totally at sea with all of this, so any advice or help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Take a look at my website and any feedback on its quality would also be gratefully recieved. www.ajbelectrical.co.uk

Thanks guys

Hi,

3 thoughts really, you don't have an address for where you're based which could put people off, you haven't mentioned which scheme you are signed up with (Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC) plus a logo from which ever is a good idea and your telephone numbers could do with a "gap" in them to make them easier to read. i.e.

Mob: 07969 625106 Tel: 01428 607353

I've thought long and hard about what to have on mine and I change my mind by the day and then just leave it!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
As murdoch has said,your address is a problem "we are based in hindhead just off the A3",would make many people run a mile,my website is basic too but its £10 a month to run so cheap enough,as long as people get the message than they will call,if your signed up with elecsa/niceic,you are allowed to put down on your site logos etc.

Hi,
Liked your intro, but then I'm a kid at heart
Your "without a trace policy" makes me wonder whether you'll vanish without a trace and if things go wrong you will have disappeared. Maybe you could call it a "no mess" policy, or something.
The main point of a website is to get people to contact you.
A/C

I would agree with murdoch too. I have just started making a new site, the first thing I did was do the contact page with details like number, address etc. In the about us page you can tell people where you cover. I bought a template and am altering it with something called 'notepad ++' its free and even a muppet like me can use it!! (after some practice!) Probably the best thing for most people is find a site you like the look of, and ask the people who own it who did their site, what ever you do good luck!

thanks for the feed back guys, ill make the ammendments shortly.

In regards to the location, i definitely do need to be a little more specific your right, ive been trying to get a map uploaded but struggling to make it work!

thanks for the feed back guys, ill make the ammendments shortly.

In regards to the location, i definitely do need to be a little more specific your right, ive been trying to get a map uploaded but struggling to make it work!

Not sure a map is essential, but your home/work address is

320px-Ptolemy_World_Map.jpg

something like this? with a zoom feature and " we are here" arrow. LOL.:77:

I wouldn't have flash as the first page I couldnt see it and neither can google. Add your address on your contact page. And maybe a clear logo in header.

I wouldn't have flash as the first page I couldnt see it and neither can google. Add your address on your contact page. And maybe a clear logo in header.

How do you mean google couldnt see it mate? Did it not work on your PC? I have a good AdWords campaign, but thats a whole new ball park of confused righ there. think its generated me 12 hits on my site in the last 2 months and cost me £5.78! haha very effective.....

Apparently google can view flash files now but not as easy as an HTML file. You need google to view your site so it ranks high for your search terms. Off those 12 clicks anyone ring? I'm on my iPhone which doeset support flash

No, no phone calls as of yet, but i dont know if those clicks have been from me faffing around with the site and ad campaign seeing if it works...

All computer don't have flash install when new you have to install it and the majority of sites don't have flash. google bots can't crawl flash aswell as they could a normal HTML files.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you mean google couldnt see it mate? Did it not work on your PC? I have a good AdWords campaign, but thats a whole new ball park of confused righ there. think its generated me 12 hits on my site in the last 2 months and cost me £5.78! haha very effective.....

I know contractors in the South East that spend £500 a month on Adwords and get more than that back in business profit as a result.

I know contractors in the South East that spend £500 a month on Adwords and get more than that back in business profit as a result.

If i knew how to make the campaign more effecitve i would most certainly increase my budget for it, but as it stands im reluctant to spend hundreds a month if its not going to get me a result. Its one of those things i guess tho, you gota spend to earn etc

Reply to Need some website help.... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net