Discuss Need someone to test and sign off work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steven9586

Hi, I am qualified to BS 7671 domestic installer but have not done much for a good few years. I am going to rewire a renovation property and need an electrician that can check, test and sign off my work. Would anyone be willing to do this obviously for payment and keep me right or should I just pay the local building control inspector to do it.

Property is in the Rowlands Gill area of Newcastle

Regards

Steven

check first with LABC. if the project is subject to BC anyway, you'll find that they may accept you certifying the work and giving them a copy. alternatively, pay the LABC fee and let them do the paperwork.

Hi, yes that's an option but because I'm not part P they want £510. was hoping a local sparky would be willing to do it for less than that. Happy for them to check the progress of the install and do it to there spec if that's what they want.

major question is...... is the project subject to building control as a whole?

Purely out of boredom I gave this idea some thought.
First you would have to design the install and put it in writing.
Then you would have to be present to witness some / all of first fix to make sure it met the design.
Inspect first fix.
Inspect second fix before faceplates screwed back on, with some testing.

Etc, etc, etc.

Might as well just do the job in the first place.

For the record I've never signed off anyone else's work and never will.

"i'll never sign off someone elses work .........."

and yet the goverment and local authorities have already implimented a system to allow 3rd party testing ?
your schemes may be dragging their heels in adapting to all this but the legislation is already in place .............

completing a B.C. notification for someone elses work doesnt make you responsible for the installation in its entirety , thats why 3 signiture certs exist.
you all seem uptight about a good earnings oppourtunity if you ask me

and yet the goverment and local authorities have already implimented a system to allow 3rd party testing ?
your schemes may be dragging their heels in adapting to all this but the legislation is already in place .............

completing a B.C. notification for someone elses work doesnt make you responsible for the installation in its entirety , thats why 3 signiture certs exist.

Hence my point above.

You can sign the designed by and tested and inspected by sections,

But in order to have done the initial testing and inspection you either need to see the entire first fix after it's done and visible or have witnessed it if it isn't.

So in my tiny little tired brain the 3 signature form and 3rd party sign off will only work in the same way that the EICR/PIR works.

It's either done properly or you can stick your signature on it as you are driving past on the way to your next job.

Yep if a 3rd PArty certifier they can only give you a EICR and one to building control not that I have seen any of these 3rd party certifiers and dont think its come into force because of issues around liability for warranty purposes etc etc
which is basically what any legit spark would give you
ITS ALL A LOAD OF PART P TOSH

You could get LABC to send someone to I&T it for you and pay there scam fee

or if you are competent but not registered do the work carry out I&T as you should if competent with calibrated instrument
then issue a EIC with attached schedules, one copy for you, one for customer & one for LABC then they will decide along with your quals whether any further action needed i.e sending a 3rd party to I&T again and what scam fees need to be paid

Or become a member of appropriate scam i.e ELECSA , NIC and pay there scam fee or one of the others get 2 million PLI insurance and calibrated test equipment , relevent electrical literature i.e BS 7671 amongst others take your assessment hopefully pass and notify yourself for another fee lol

all this is in APPROVED PART P DOC 2013 on Government portal Google it and all will become clear

as for signing someone elses work its a NO NO

Or ask a registered competent spark to do the work

Last edited:

Is there any idea when this will become accepted by the schemes? I get calls all the time people asking me to do this.

You can do things anyway that arent accepted by the schemes. Im in a scheme but I don't pay extra to do EICRS.

In fact you don't need to be in a scheme! Its all cobblers.

I have had this case with 3 different councils in the last 4 months, the person who installed the electrics wasnt registered and couldnt produce a cert for the extension/ loft conversion

i was asked to sign the jobs off and i said i could only give them an eicr and that they would have to check that their LBA would accept this

they all did no problem as long as you were registered by nic ac or napit

basildon, havering and maldon councils all in essex

None of them could really care less as long as they got some form of paperwork to tick the box

An Electrical Installation Condition Report

which gives a approved competent persons judgement on the safety of an electrical system through Inspecting and testing with relevent experience, skill and formal training it will have any relevent codes as appropriate for improvement or dangerous conditions that may or may not exist coded 1, 2 or 3

formerly a Periodic Inspection report which had 4 codes

Reply to Need someone to test and sign off work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net