Discuss Need to convert 3 phase 480 60 hertz to European 3 phase 330 50 Hertz in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi , I have a customer that has purchased a machine from Turkey. The machine requires 3 phase 330 volts at 50 hertz. I have access to 3 phase 460 at 60 hertz here at the plant in the US. I can find a transformer for the voltage but that doesn't change it from 60 hz to 50 hz. Im looking at 90 FLA's total. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Have you contacted the manufacturer to be sure it really must be 50Hz? If it has VFD for any motors it might be relatively tolerant of frequency. Voltage is a very different matter!

Are you sure it's 330V? I'm not familiar with anything using that voltage, nor the corresponding single-phase voltage of 190. I would expect the machine to be 380V which was the standard in much of Europe and anywhere with European-derived standards for many decades.

Hi , I have a customer that has purchased a machine from Turkey. The machine requires 3 phase 330 volts at 50 hertz. I have access to 3 phase 460 at 60 hertz here at the plant in the US. I can find a transformer for the voltage but that doesn't change it from 60 hz to 50 hz. Im looking at 90 FLA's total. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
To my knowledge I don’t think you can change the HZ but it will still work but I think that your machine will work fine. I’ve wired many European 50 hz machines and had no problems. Good luck

Are you sure it's 330V? I'm not familiar with anything using that voltage, nor the corresponding single-phase voltage of 190. I would expect the machine to be 380V which was the standard in much of Europe and anywhere with European-derived standards for many decades.
I did wonder about that.

Maybe it is a typo and the OP means 230 phase-neutral, i.e. normal UK/EU 400V/230V system?

Answer is to look inside the machine and see what the loads are.
At a previous day job, they got a machine delivered which was designed and procured by the chief engineer of our US parent company - who was a bit of a d-head as an engineer (read on). I wasn't personally involved, but we had to buy a transformer for it as the so-called professional engineer didn't think to have it made for a UK supply (415V/50Hz/3P) - but all the motors were on VSDs so at least frequency didn't matter. It had heaters that were 220/230V and could have been wired L-N instead of L-L, and the VSDs could have been specced as 415V input instead of whatever they were - but having the new machine re-wired and all the VSDs replaced would have cost more than the transformer. It was also a H&S nightmare as we had to have quite a bit of guarding and safeties added before we thought we could let any operators near it.
So as above, have a look at what's in it - it's quite possible that there's nothing frequency sensitive anyway.

Depending on what's in it, it may be possible to rewire some bits, possibly change taps (if you're lucky, the controls will be something like 24V and the transformer might have a suitable primary voltage, and replace a few parts (e.g. swap VSDs out). Too many variables, it might be practical to convert the machine, or it might be totally uneconomic. But if there aren't any DOL motors then it will possibly not be bothered by the frequency.

Reply to Need to convert 3 phase 480 60 hertz to European 3 phase 330 50 Hertz in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock