Discuss Need to find a solution to heating water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite as daft as it sounds, this follows from my thread a day ago. I need to find an electrical (ideally, gas could also be an option...) to heat a plastic bath tub of water to around 45C, and then maintain it. I've rejected the idea of using those deathtrap looking immersible elements that you plug in and throw in, for starters most of them seem to give up at around 35C. Don't have running water unless it's via a hosepipe so we can fill the tub initially. Considering possibly using a 7-8kw fixed element like we use for undersinks in WC's etc, or maybe a shower, but then effectively creating a loop system by having the inlet to it return from the tub - so once it's at temperature it's reliant on the built in thermostat just circulating hot water. This also has to be portable and idiot proof (and I mean idiot).

Open to all ideas, suggestions and products!

R.

To make it idiot-proof you will at least need to incorporate a level switch to ensure the thing is filled before powering the elements.
You say a bathtub - how deep is it in fact? Do you have the height for one or two of these self-contained immersion heaters that circulate by thermosyphoning. Obviously they won't work unless both pipe connections to the tank are submerged so no good if the tank has to be significantly emptied while the heaters are still in operation.

To make it idiot-proof you will at least need to incorporate a level switch to ensure the thing is filled before powering the elements.
You say a bathtub - how deep is it in fact? Do you have the height for one or two of these self-contained immersion heaters that circulate by thermosyphoning. Obviously they won't work unless both pipe connections to the tank are submerged so no good if the tank has to be significantly emptied while the heaters are still in operation.

Hmmm..... so presumably fit it into the smallest size immersion tank, although as it'd end up basically being gravity fed wouldn't head pressure become an issue?

I don't understand. You connect its two pipes to the sides of your tank / bathtub and water circulates through it by thermosyphon. It might not work well if the depth of water in the tub is not much greater than the height of the unit, as once much of the water in the tub is heated there will be less thermosyphon action and the heat output will be limited once the water in the unit sits on the thermostat. That problem could be overcome with a pump.

But if you are going to use a circulating pump, how about a swimming pool heater or two. Something like this which incorporates a flow switch, making it significantly more foolproof as it won't energise until filled with the pump running. Thermostat goes up to 45° but no higher. Larger sizes available.

I don't understand. You connect its two pipes to the sides of your tank / bathtub and water circulates through it by thermosyphon. It might not work well if the depth of water in the tub is not much greater than the height of the unit, as once much of the water in the tub is heated there will be less thermosyphon action and the heat output will be limited once the water in the unit sits on the thermostat. That problem could be overcome with a pump.

But if you are going to use a circulating pump, how about a swimming pool heater or two. Something like this which incorporates a flow switch, making it significantly more foolproof as it won't energise until filled with the pump running. Thermostat goes up to 45° but no higher. Larger sizes available.

Apologies - I hadn't looked at it hard enough! The first pic that comes up has the cover off and makes it look more like a conventional immersion. I completely (I think!) understand what it does and you're suggesting now.

Ordered! Just need to make some sort of stand and cover for it now.

Reply to Need to find a solution to heating water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net