Discuss Need to price a job, but its all a little new to me. Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dan604

Hi guys,

So as the title suggests, I've done a fair amount of domestic work on and off over past 5 years and decided it was time to do my inspection and testing, I have passed which is great news!

I have now been asked to give a price to swap out lights in a commercial suspended ceiling grid with LED equivalents and certify them.
I am yet to register with anyone (NICEIC, Napit etc), But forgetting the registration - I also have no idea how much to charge as I am new to getting work in for myself.

So lets presume the lights are being supplied, And the customer is disposing of the old lights (And tubes), How much is a going rate to fit a light and sign it off.

I know there is many factors, How many lights etc, But would love to hear how other do it, and is there a rule of thumb
which any of you use to price this kind of job up?

Thanks in advance for input!
Dan

Have you actually looked at the job? speak to the client as to exactly what work is entailed as far disposal etc, do you need scaffold, when can you do the work i,e, does the client require you to work out of hours? not enough information given in your post I,m afraid.

It's no different to pricing your domestic work. Materials plus time at chosen rate. Keep it simple.

Assess the current system and ascertain whether there are any earthing and bonding issues, if you can adapt the existing circuits or need to run new ones, system is suitable to work on etc etc. Access to the building and working height are also factors that may affect your price.

EDIT: Or as Pete999 beat me to it, pretty much what he said ^ :D

You will probably be required to provide a risk assessment. safe system of work etc as well, only saying

Thanks to both Pete and Andy.

Yeah I do apologise for being slightly vague, but I guess its more hyperthetical at the moment. Although I have done domestic work - This has been for someone else, not priced by myself.
Perhaps I am after a little more generic.

I realise there are all sorts of variants which will affect the price, height of work, disposal and supplying of equipment. So maybe I should word this question slightly different.

How do you quote for jobs, I realise there is a cost of materials, access equipment etc, do you put 20% on these plus your rate?
And also, What rate do you try and achieve when quoting for a job, I realise this can sometime go a drift on occasions, but I really am merely trying to get some idea of how to price up jobs.

Do forgive me as I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to pricing!

Ta, Dan

Ha, I completely understand, but I am just trying to get a bit of advice on how to go about it. So rather than you guys saying your prices, what about point me in the direction of any website which may be of use for pricing jobs?

what andy said about what pete said about what tony said. call it £20 and a packet of smokes.

somewhere between £20 and £30 /hour is common.

Ok great, thanks telectrix, I was thinking that sort of money but I didn't know if too much, or perhaps under cutting others by a huge margin.

Anyways, appreciate the help!

Ah thanks Andy, Helpful thread! Was exactly what I was after, Guess I didn't exactly word it correctly then ;-)

Have a good weekend guys!

Reply to Need to price a job, but its all a little new to me. Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net