Discuss need to purchase a tester, opinions on buying second hand. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd look at a Metrel, ticks all the boxes and a 2 year warranty. Here

I don't have one but quite a few here and a few mates in the trade swear by them.

If you buy 2nd hand off ebay you never know how the tester has been looked after, and always run the risk that it's been nicked.

Contact forum sponsor Test meter - they give really good advice AND a discount for forum members ....

Think about spending a bit more ......... my Metrel is 9 years old and worth every penny I spent on it.

Buy once, buy wisely

I think I'd be wary of individual sellers on ebay or gumtree etc. Just because of the chance it might be dodgy.
On the other hand buying a refurbished unit with cal cert from a decent company (who may well have an ebay shop!) Might well get you a bargain.
I picked up a lecia rotary laser and all kit with cal cert for about a 3rd of the as new price a few years back, refurbed ex hire kit, and it's been spot on. Can't see any reason why testers would be any different really

Whilst there are secondhand bargains to be had, buying tools from online auction & classifieds sites can be a minefield. Ask all the right questions to ensure you are not supporting the thieving low life that make their living by stealing and reselling tools. Look at their sales history, other items for sale & reason for sale to see if it stacks up. For example, "selling virtually new MFT for quick sale as just taken PAYE job with tools provided" may be genuine, however if the seller has a history of selling MFTs and other random tools, some of which may be more common to other trades, and has a low feedback count, chances are the tools are hot.

Ask for a photo of the last calibration certificate and a photo of the serial number on the instrument. If for whatever reason the excuse comes back that the serial number is no longer on the instrument, then walk away, as something is definitely amiss. Never support the thieving scum, however cheap something is offered.

Don't be put off buying secondhand - just be careful and remember if it seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true. But be patient and you could pick up say a Megger 15xx in decent condition and 6 months left on the cal cert, genuinely being sold by someone whom has just upgraded to a 17xx MFT.

I have a Martindale ES4500 with a few months left on its first certificate would be happy to get it done with 12 months if your interested?

I got a Megger 1552 of ebay for £250, didnt come calibrated but at the time it was all i could afford. Had it over 18 months now, think i got lucky with a decent seller. When i originally took it in for calibration the guys said it seemed id dropped on a decent meter. I will upgrade as and when i can afford, but for now it does me just fine. I wouldnt completely rule out a second hand one it depends on your budget

I got a Megger 1552 of ebay for £250, didnt come calibrated but at the time it was all i could afford. Had it over 18 months now, think i got lucky with a decent seller. When i originally took it in for calibration the guys said it seemed id dropped on a decent meter. I will upgrade as and when i can afford, but for now it does me just fine. I wouldnt completely rule out a second hand one it depends on your budget
stick with the 1552.best tester ever made. i bought my 1553 2nd hand from MDJ 5 years ago and it's never missed a beat. calibrated every year without any problems.

Still got my 1552! Love it and still going strong! Borrowed a mates 17xx earlier in the year, seemed much faster on loop and rcd tests, but can't justify replacing the old 1552 yet!

Still got my 1552! Love it and still going strong! Borrowed a mates 17xx earlier in the year, seemed much faster on loop and rcd tests, but can't justify replacing the old 1552 yet!

Reply to need to purchase a tester, opinions on buying second hand. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net