Discuss Need tool advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am in college and looking for an apprenticeship and have just got myself my first set of tools, it's not the best but it's a start, I have a hacksaw, hammer, club hammer, spirit level, tape measure, tape, wire strippers, screwdrivers, pliers, electricians knife, pad saw, chisel, files, Multimeter, socket tester and a voltage detector pen.

If there is anything else I need to add please help me out and say so I can get it sorted as soon as possible.

Now I don't have any power tools yet and would like some advice on what to pick up, I'm looking for the essentials that will start me off.

Thanks to all that reply it's much appreciated.

No bother mate, you seem to have the basics covered, just only thing you need the club for is generally knocking big holes out of sh@t. Apart from that there bloody heavy after youv'e carried it round in your bag for a couple of hours!! Best of luck, and welcome.

You might need an approved voltage tester to test for dead.
A cordless hammer action drill, would be an initial starting point on power tools you can move up to SDS and core drills later, however it is normally best to see what you will need and buy them piece meal so you know you are getting the right kit.
Buy as expensive as you can afford, but only if you can afford it and any subsequent costs...

Depends what your going into, domestic,commercial or industrial. You tend to have a first fix tool set different for these main disciplines. The list is endless.

Anything to make what you do look neat and tidy, chalk lines, squares (mentioned above),spirit level. You might find yourself doing loft work, then its dusk masks and head torches etc.

You have the basics, just look at the guys tools you work with, on different types of jobs and then you can priortise your tool requirements in terms of must,handy and luxury.

I'll go with Toonlad. Although probably an old fart compared to you, I had a basic kit as you have. When I was put on a placement, any tool that wasn't in my bag and I borrowed off my mentor went down on a list of things to buy.

One of the first was a pair of plastic pipe cutters for conduit. Very handy.

And second I'd suggest a pair of cable shears. You might manage with your pliers but they are infinitely better and like a hot knife through butter.

As has also been said it depends on the area or discipline you are aiming at.

Depends what your going into, domestic,commercial or industrial. You tend to have a first fix tool set different for these main disciplines. The list is endless.

Anything to make what you do look neat and tidy, chalk lines, squares (mentioned above),spirit level. You might find yourself doing loft work, then its dusk masks and head torches etc.

You have the basics, just look at the guys tools you work with, on different types of jobs and then you can priortise your tool requirements in terms of must,handy and luxury.

like toon says, if your doing domestic then you can have two small bags one for first fix and another for 2nd fix

depending on the type of comercial/industrial you do you might have 2 or 1 as you might first and second fix around the same time.

personally it would be a waste to buy more tools till you start working for someone, you wont know what tools you will need till then and some you will never use.

for example we mainly need 2.5mm driver, ferrule crimper and snips are the three most important tools we use.

electricians knife....yea you will never use that it. its a college thing! get a stanley knife!! Although i personally use rolson, it folds into itself, not as bulky as a stanley but uses the same blades. If your doing domestic you will need a junior hacksaw, a hacksaw is more industrial. what size spirit level you get? you will need a small one more than a large.

a torch is a good shout, definitely start with a small LED head torch, just make sure its LED! when im being lazy and cant be arsed to go to my car, i can do loft work just using my head torch. Then when you have the money get a bigger one get one. I recently stole my fathers new torch Rolson 30 LED Multi Function Lantern For The Trade | Rolson Tools Blog OMG i used it in a loft and it lit it up so well it was like daylight!! I highly recommend this!

cable shears are a good tool, especially if you are just starting out and may not have the hand strength yet...I can say this im a girl, i need them for every cable type!
I wouldnt get a set square until you actually need one, ive only used mine as a ruler in the past 3 years!
you will need long nose pliers if you havent got them already. pencils and permanent markers.

If you have the money spend it, otherwise wait. any company who hires you will only expect you to have the basics, as long as you have all the screwdrivers, tape measure, sidecutters and 2xpliers your laughing! get the rest as you go.

electricians knife....yea you will never use that it. its a college thing! get a stanley knife!! Although i personally use rolson, it folds into itself, not as bulky as a stanley but uses the same blades. If your doing domestic you will need a junior hacksaw, a hacksaw is more industrial. what size spirit level you get? you will need a small one more than a large.

a torch is a good shout, definitely start with a small LED head torch, just make sure its LED! when im being lazy and cant be arsed to go to my car, i can do loft work just using my head torch. Then when you have the money get a bigger one get one. I recently stole my fathers new torch Rolson 30 LED Multi Function Lantern For The Trade | Rolson Tools Blog OMG i used it in a loft and it lit it up so well it was like daylight!! I highly recommend this!

cable shears are a good tool, especially if you are just starting out and may not have the hand strength yet...I can say this im a girl, i need them for every cable type!
I wouldnt get a set square until you actually need one, ive only used mine as a ruler in the past 3 years!
you will need long nose pliers if you havent got them already. pencils and permanent markers.

If you have the money spend it, otherwise wait. any company who hires you will only expect you to have the basics, as long as you have all the screwdrivers, tape measure, sidecutters and 2xpliers your laughing! get the rest as you go.

go for 180mm/200mm side cutters. they make life a lot easier the extra leverage you get is worth the bulk.

a pair off plastic cutters are very underated but useful to keep. i use mine to cut minitrunking and conduit (i got a pair off monument plumbers ones that cut upto 50mm)

a good tip is, go to amazon and buy a 12 pack of sharpie perminant markers for about £6-8

they should last a couple months ( because galv trunking+brick kills pens)

if you go for other markers make sure they don't smudge and dry quickly if not it can cause no end off trouble on the larger jobs. trying to bell cables out off a bundle off 200 is not fun

two pairs of waterpump pliers is the minimum if you buy them. you use them for swa in domestic or galv conduit in comercial+industrial

pliers
needle nose pliers (makes life easier when trying to put cables into terminals)
junior hacksaw (dont buy loads off blades, your employer should supply them)

try not to rely too much on the cable stripper's over time you will get better at stripping cable and do it in one smooth motion with the side cutters you have just cut the cable with (anything over say 4mm you use knife)

before you start to use locknife let me ask you a question?

have you sharpened a knife before? its not something most just pickup to keep angle right to sharpen the blade, you will probably be better off with a stanley knife off some description

its a good idea to keep a spare pair of side cutters in your bag as well, you will lose or have a pair stolen at some point, if your lucky your workmates etc will spot it and pick it up for you

youve quoted me. im agreeing with the stanley knife, i just have a fold over one because the feel of them is better than the stanley ones where you 'push' the blade out of the body. my rolson one uses stanley knife blades. i have this one Rolson Tools

shanky is right, i have three pairs of sidecutters in my bag, and two of every screwdriver.

wire strippers arent great, the all in one CKs are my preferred choice. have the pre cut strippers built in for 1.5mm and 2.5mm CK 431008 CombiCutter3 Electricians' VDE Multi Tool - Hand Tools & Storage, Pliers, Side Cutters

you will lose/have stolen more permanent markers than anything else!

A decent pair of crimpers would be a good shout IMO.

Reply to Need tool advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net