Discuss Neff hob Error code 5 13 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

becboo155

DIY
Reaction score
I'm after some advice. We've just had a new Neff induction hob fitted. Only one side is working. 3 areas have an error code 5 13 on it. I've spoken to Neff and they say the error codes relate to an installation error and won't help but the electrician is adamant it's a faulty hob. They've used the hard wired cable already in the house but we're stuck with what to do. Can anyone advise please?Neff hob Error code 5 13 hob wiring.JPG - EletriciansForums.netNeff hob Error code 5 13 wiring.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

It is hard to see from the photo, but it looks like only one of the two Line connections is actually connected to L? If that is the case, I'd expect only half the hob to work!

Also the connections don't look terribly neat, in fact the N cable looks almost about to fall off, and the clamp should clamp over the outer sheath. Whoever connected that cable needs to try harder.

I'm even wondering what size of cable it is (whether big enough).

There's lots of poor quality manfactured terminals in many modern appliances out there, cookers, ovens and in-line light switches spring to mind as the worst culprits followed by some types of wall lights. These are a real challenge to get a good quality connection as well as making it safe by utilizing the cable grip.
My suggestion, firstly, is to make sure you are reading from the correct circuit diagram then, secondly, try to use crimp terminal connectors, or bent soldered wire, but don't attempt to connect a fine stranded conductor onto a screwed connection. It inevitably gets squeezed out of the termination leaving straggling strands.

That looks like 4.0 T&E and I agree those terminal boxes are difficult but the connection of that cable is appalling.

id agree there is a live link missing also id bet it should be 10mm cable usually is on induction hobs ,and yes very untidy wiring !!
Why 10mm cable? With the crappy connections on almost all hobs you'd have next to no chance of terminating 10mm cable into them.

In this case, Neff are spot on saying it’s an installation error.
missing live link, usually you would see it tucked in the connection box somewhere as storage.

I’m surprised the electrician didn’t check everything worked before he left it, but then, it looks like he was in a hurry

crappy terminals coupled with a R.A.F. electrician. apart from the missing link - was that the electrician?

We've just had exactly the same (an hour ago) - 3 "E" symbols. Spoke to the electrician who confirmed that he didn't fit a bridge across the three live terminals even though he read that part of the installation manual! (It's a 1 phase supply.) Anyway, he's coming back at half 3 to do that.

Although as said before it is tricky to terminate them nicely
I would like to see some ring crimps on the ends of the cables and the cable clamp over the outer insulation, not just the inner cores.

It is hard to see from the photo, but it looks like only one of the two Line connections is actually connected to L? If that is the case, I'd expect only half the hob to work!

Also the connections don't look terribly neat, in fact the N cable looks almost about to fall off, and the clamp should clamp over the outer sheath. Whoever connected that cable needs to try harder.

I'm even wondering what size of cable it is (whether big enough).
I had the same problem today and there is a simple solution but the customer service team at Neff may not know the answer. The live links, of which there are two, are situated immediately next to the cable clamp and need to be installed between terminals 2/1 and 2/3.

Your connection type is the middle diagram you posted, there should be a link between where your existing brown is connected and the terminal immediately below it, the links are normally supplied with the hob, look in the plastic bag the instructions came in, or it/they could be under a screw on the underside of the hob, they look like a Brass horseshoe.

AH HA just noticed the link is parked between the terminal with the blue attached and the terminal above it, turn off the power and remove it from both of those terminals, making sure the blue is connected back onto the terminal you took it off, then install it across the terminal with the brown connected and the terminal immediately below it, Only if you are competent to do that.

That is a very untidy install though.

Last edited:
Your connection type is the middle diagram you posted, there should be a link between where your existing brown is connected and the terminal immediately below it, the links are normally supplied with the hob, look in the plastic bag the instructions came in, or it/they could be under a screw on the underside of the hob, they look like a Brass horseshoe.

AH HA just noticed the link is parked between the terminal with the blue attached and the terminal above it, turn off the power and remove it from both of those terminals, making sure the blue is connected back onto the terminal you took it off, then install it across the terminal with the brown connected and the terminal immediately below it, Only if you are competent to do that.

That is a very untidy install though.

OP hasn't been on here for nearly a year.

I blame simplebh3 he started it, but it was strange that nobody at the time noticed the link parked on the spare terminal, can I have some brownie points for that at least. ?

I blame simplebh3 he started it, but it was strange that nobody at the time noticed the link parked on the spare terminal, can I have some brownie points for that at least. ?
The 2 N terminals need linked as well. Looks like the link is parked under the cord grip

Reply to Neff hob Error code 5 13 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock