Discuss Neff hob supplied cable in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, I have purchased a new Neff hob. In the box there is a length of 5 core cable. The instructions show 3 wiring methods one of which shows the black and brown joined acting as the live and blue and grey joined as neutral. The hob uses 7.7kw. In my opinion the cable looks a bit thin to be for a 32amp appliance however if it’s supplied with the hob surely it must be suitable? I unfortunately don’t know what size cable it is and it doesn’t mention anywhere in the instructions or specification pages. I will attach pictures.

Attachments

• Neff hob supplied cable F57B6181-1A80-4475-87FA-345F99EE4B40 - EletriciansForums.net
    F57B6181-1A80-4475-87FA-345F99EE4B40.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
G
Reaction score
I believe the correct wiring method is the middle (1N) where it goes into the hob terminal block and it will be wired into the existing hob isolator switch following the diagram attached (bottom diagram)

Attachments

• Neff hob supplied cable 19897F65-D1E6-44BF-8D41-63C93B1E1F6E - EletriciansForums.net
    19897F65-D1E6-44BF-8D41-63C93B1E1F6E.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 17

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had the same thing last week with a neff hob. The installation method you’re using (I suspect) shows the cores doubled up. Effectively making it 5mm flex

It makes it 2x 2.5mm cables in parallel which is not the same as a 5mm cable, the 2x2.5mm in parallel will have a higher current rating.

The relationship between conductor CSA and current carrying capacity is not linear.

Reaction score
It makes it 2x 2.5mm cables in parallel which is not the same as a 5mm cable, the 2x2.5mm in parallel will have a higher current rating.

The relationship between conductor CSA and current carrying capacity is not linear.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that as long as the core length was the same etc, there would be very little difference in the CCC of each individual core. Effectively doubling the CCC. Not the correct phrasing saying it’s like a 5mm cable, but I had the same reasoning

Reply to Neff hob supplied cable in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net