Discuss Neighbor says they need access to my mains box to install their smart meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re all well!
I’m wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on a situation I’m having with my neighbour.

I received a text last night saying the below:

Hi , hope you’re both well.

My flat came with old key meters for gas and electric. When I first moved in, I tried getting these changed, but it couldn’t be done as the main switch (or an isolator switch or something) that they need to disconnect the power is in your property (at the time the flat was empty and we couldn’t get access). I gave up on the idea, and have been making do since with running to shops to top up my key meters.
Now, however, this particular form of meter payment is being done away with and I need to get smart meters installed. Utilita have given me an installation date of 9th May (8am-12noon), but they need access to your flat to switch my electric off for approx 45mins.

Would you be available to provide access for this?”

We’re a 4 in a block and what I don’t understand is the women next door to her never needed access to the flat above her to get her meters installed so i was a bit wary as I don’t particularly trust this woman all that much but I did say if her provider writes to me and explain why then yes I will let them have access however it needs to be a weekend as im out mon-fri 9-6 (she wasnt happy about that either but at the end of the day I’ve literally just started a new job and in my probation period)

Can I ask her provider to do a re-wire or something so they dont need to access my flat after this?

Thanks for reading and hope you’re all having a good weekend :),

Many thanks!

That is your distribution board “fuse box” can you post a picture zoomed right out that shows everything electrical in the room?

I would expect the company undertaking the works to request access and not your neighbour.

Yeah she did say the company will write to me and explain. Once they do this am I covered if they by some accident do any damage to my mains etc? Like i said, no issues with them coming in but as long as it’s legitimate and wont do damage to my own property (and they can do a weekend lol)

I'd say that the Fused Cut out, black box with warning label on, for the other flat ( is it above you?) is not in the flat and the meter installer is assuming it's in yours.
As it doesn't appear to be, it's probably in a cupboard or box elsewhere in the building and has always been accessable or is in another flat.

What's on the other side of the wall behind your meter and fusebox?
The answer to the other flats problem is where the black cable circled blue goes to, as theirs will be in that location,

Meter flat edit_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say that the Fused Cut out, black box with warning label on, for the other flat ( is it above you?) is not in the flat and the meter installer is assuming it's in yours.
As it doesn't appear to be, it's probably in a cupboard or box elsewhere in the building and has always been accessable or is in another flat.

No bud her flats below mine. Ive honestly no idea whats on the other side. Nothing i don’t think. Looks like boards nailed into the building (im by no means knowledgeable though)

Attachments

• 0E22E977-065D-4EAE-91F8-16A3BD0FD372.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 7709293C-ECC3-4B49-8772-FE63E9180909.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 42
Unless I am missing something that service head appears to serve the OPs dwelling, one cable and one fuse from what I can see.

I expect there first letter to your neighbour probably had a statement in it along the lines of “we may need access to your neighbours property “

I expect there first letter to your neighbour probably had a statement in it along the lines of “we may need access to your neighbours property “

Theres been no letters sent to either of us. I dont have an issue if they need in as long as they state why and dont do anything that will affect or possibly damage my own property.

Unless I am missing something that service head appears to serve the OPs dwelling, one cable and one fuse from what I can see.

Yes that's what I think, but wherever that service cable enters the building then the other 3 probably do as well.
It may well be a single service the the building then split to 4

Any chance you can get the other flat occupant to send you a photo to post on here showing their meter and fusebox, the same as your photo in post #6?

Roughly where in Scotland are you?

There’s a few of us here that, if nearby, could pop in and tell you exactly where things are going.

I’ve seen flats where the downstairs has two cutout fuses… one for them, and one for upstairs… but you only seem to have equipment for your own house.

Reply to Neighbor says they need access to my mains box to install their smart meter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net