Discuss Nervous about new job... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Willis

Hey guys, just looking for some reassurance from some experienced electricians.

I'm 21 and have about one and a half years left of my apprenticeship, up until now i've been working for a small firm fixing refrigeration and catering equipment and carrying out the occasionally installation of fridge equipment (cold/freezer rooms, cellar cooolers, supermarket refrigeration) and lots of maintenance on such equipment.

I have been doing ok at college and achieving above average results on tasks and assignments, but i felt i wasn't gaining the experience i desired whilst i was at work. So i have left my job with the refrigeration firm and am starting a new job tomorrow with a large contractor who are carrying out such jobs as wiring a new section of our local hospital and some apartments etc. When i went for this new job i made sure they were fully aware of my lack of experience in such fields and that my reason for moving was to gain such experience.

If I'm honest I am incredibly nervous about tomorrow. I'm concerned that i might get thrown into jobs that i am not confident enough to do, i'll be way out of my comfort zone and am gonna seriously need to build up my confidence fast.

Has anyone else found them self in this situation, and does anyone have any advice? I'm ****ting myself!!

Willis you will be fine mate. You have just got used to having a cushy ride so it will do you good to take yourself out of your comfort zone. As for feeling that you may be thrown in at the deep end then simply embrace it because it is the quickest way to learn. You may feel a little exposed but that is a good thing. Rest assured, you have made the right move and as soon as you have settled in you will be in your element.
Good luck and enjoy!

i agree with cirrus ,
ive dealt with a number of apprentices ,trainees over the years the simplest advice i can give is ;1 be quick 2 be attentive 3 dont be afraid to ask ,even if you get shouted at4 dont be smart mouthed. Good luck.

hi
Dont worry about it ,as an apprentice i doubt if you will be left on your own first day,my best advise is ,be on time, show INTEREST, and do exactly what your told,even if it dont seem right, and dont slag the company you have just left , or the sparks that you worked with there,things said have an uncanny way of getting around in the trade.

and remember you work for this company now ,forget the last crowd and just enjoy the trip, good luck

Don't forget this company hasn't taken you on to start troubleshooting for them on your arrival. They are hoping that you are a hard working committed individual with a good attitude who is willing to learn all the skills in the trade.

So as far as they are concerned with the experience you will gain from them and the qualifications you will achieve on your own you will be their fully qualified super star electrician in 18 months time. Like Wayne Rooney to ManU. Well if you not a ManU fan then tough.

Remember if you are shy of asking, you have a fear of learning.
Good Luck

*Looks around*

"Have I just walked into the Garden of Zen?"

Very good advice given to you there Willis. You certainly took your time coming out to talk?!

I'll just echo a few of the above:

1) Show interest
2) Do what is asked of you
3) Don't be cocky/mouthy

You'll be right. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself and finally.

COME BACK AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON!

hi
dont slag the company you have just left , or the sparks that you worked with there,things said have an uncanny way of getting around in the trade.

I live on an island where gossip gets passed round at lightening speed so i'm good at biting my tongue when i need to.

Like Wayne Rooney to ManU. Well if you not a ManU fan then tough.
Good Luck

I'm an Everton fan!!

Cheers for the advice, i'll take it all on board and i'll let you know how i get on.

Well, my first day was pretty good. The guys i've been put with seem sound. Had a nice easy day inspecting and testing which went well.

Once we're done testing a couple more apartments then i'll go on to first fixing, and theyre fulling understanding that i need to build up my confidence before i can work at the pace they will be. Also seems that first fixing the apartments seems to be where the money is ;)

Wayne all i meant by the money comment was that from what i gather the first fixing is price-work, and the guys are getting through them at a steady pace which means theyre doin alright out of it.

Oh and if you're gonna hijack my thread can u avoid the homosexual inuendoes haha.

Reply to Nervous about new job... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock