Discuss Nest 3 learning won't blow heat unless the blue wire is connected to C in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

clochette

DIY
Reaction score
We're new to this house and the old nest 3 stopped charging so they sent us a new one. Hubby didn't take photos of the old wiring since, as he put it, it's color coded. When the white and red are touched heat blows. The others, yellow and green, seem to do their jobs as well. There is a blue wire that whoever installed this wrapped back around the bundle and shoved it back into the wall. When the colors go where colors go the unit functions but doesn't charge the battery well and doesn't blow heat. I tried charging the unit with a micro USB to get it up and running but nothing. With a little research (and by that I mean about 2 hours) I decided to try connecting the blue so I gave them all nice new ends and replugged them all in. It tells me the blue isn't connected to anything (which is confirmed, I believe, by looking in the furnace) but now the heater blows warm. It won't function as a smart thermostat because it can't get over having a dumb wire but it won't blow heat without it. Hours on the phone with Google got me to try attaching the red to the o/b but this isn't a heat pump and still didn't blow heat. I can't keep manually turning the furnace off and on. Is there diy stuff I can do?

TL;DR
Nest thermostat won't blow warm air unless blue wire is plugged in to thermostat but the blue wire isn't connected to furnace

Reply to Nest 3 learning won't blow heat unless the blue wire is connected to C in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock