Discuss Nest e thermostat wiring question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mattressback

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi just bought a nest e thermostat . Ive included a picture of the wiring for the old thermostat and the connections for the new nest thermostat. I just want to make sure it’s compatible before I get someone to install it. Which wire goes to which connector for want of a better question ?

Nest e thermostat wiring question AB705A6B-6730-4222-BD70-1A4E80A77B2A - EletriciansForums.net

Nest e thermostat wiring question 3AA56283-AF5F-40BA-A776-7DBF5C57EFBD - EletriciansForums.net

Nest e thermostat wiring question F36F5F7D-E355-4D82-B45B-682297E41ED9 - EletriciansForums.net

you need a 3core/E cable instead of the T/E.

The nest thermostat is a combination of time clock and thermostat.
The base “receiver” unit can be fitted next to the boiler where there will be all the cables that you require.
The control or thermostat unit would normally be placed wherever the old thermostat is mounted and only needs 2 cores. This is to supply power from the base unit to the stat unit, as per the instructions.
All the control signals are sent wirelessly from the stat to the base unit.

Although this could be done by someone good diy skills and electrical knowledge, I would recommend getting a professional in to do it.

A mistake in the wiring could do any of the following.
1. Write off the boiler control board
2. Write off the nest thermostat
3. Cause a shock or other injury
4. All of the above at the same time.

As long as you have a wire with at least 2 cores going from the boiler to the old stat, a professional should have you up and running within the hour.

P.s. for the techs reading this, the only function of the link wire from base unit to stat is to supply 12v dc to the stat for its own power.

Hi again, can I just clarify that this is a nest thermostat E that uses the heat link at the thermostat with nothing fitted to the combi boiler itself (obviously the thermostat connects to the boiler at that point). I’ve just spoken to nest tech support and told her that I only have a 2 wire system and she seemed very confident that they will connect to the C and NO and that the system will work.

Is N neutral?

Gas was only installed about ten years ago
N is indeed neutral.
[automerge]1568132889[/automerge]
The nest thermostat is a combination of time clock and thermostat.
The base “receiver” unit can be fitted next to the boiler where there will be all the cables that you require.
The control or thermostat unit would normally be placed wherever the old thermostat is mounted and only needs 2 cores. This is to supply power from the base unit to the stat unit, as per the instructions.
All the control signals are sent wirelessly from the stat to the base unit.

Although this could be done by someone good diy skills and electrical knowledge, I would recommend getting a professional in to do it.

A mistake in the wiring could do any of the following.
1. Write off the boiler control board
2. Write off the nest thermostat
3. Cause a shock or other injury
4. All of the above at the same time.

As long as you have a wire with at least 2 cores going from the boiler to the old stat, a professional should have you up and running within the hour.

P.s. for the techs reading this, the only function of the link wire from base unit to stat is to supply 12v dc to the stat for its own power.
so, if i read your right. ( bear in mind i have no knowlege of nest), he needs a 3core/E (or 4 core flex) from boiler to receiver, and just a pair to the actual stat., which mus be RF to the base unit?

with your existing stat, brown is L, blue is switched L. Gn/Y is earth.there is no neutral.

Yeah I’m going to get a professional to do it for me, he’s doing it as a favour so I really wanted it to be as simple as possible and that’s why I bought the E . It’s also a housing association property so if it’s going to require a neutral wire installed then I’m probably going to require permission and other red tape before I can go ahead which will probably lead me to just not doing it.

I’m curious to know why telectrix knows it’s a switched live and not a neutral as every website I’ve looked at says neutral is a blue wire. Is it to do with the wiring diagram I uploaded?

Reply to Nest e thermostat wiring question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock