Discuss Nest e thermostat wiring question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yeah I’m going to get a professional to do it for me, he’s doing it as a favour so I really wanted it to be as simple as possible and that’s why I bought the E . It’s also a housing association property so if it’s going to require a neutral wire installed then I’m probably going to require permission and other red tape before I can go ahead which will probably lead me to just not doing it.

I’m curious to know why telectrix knows it’s a switched live and not a neutral as every website I’ve looked at says neutral is a blue wire. Is it to do with the wiring diagram I uploaded?

It’s a switched live because there are only 2 wires being used and the device is a switch of sorts, if it were a neutral, there would be a loud bang when the thermostat switched to on and the heating would not work.

Nest Gen 3 needs a neutral, but Nest e does not, it's battery operated only two wires, really simple to install, why people are talking about neutral I don't know.

So 1 and 2 go to C and NO other three terminals are not used. It does not even matter why way around the two wires go. Could you get anything easier?

Omg ericmark where have you been finally some good news mainly cos it’s what I wanted to hear. Will anyone else concur with this?

If you had installed the app and watched the vid I posted above, it would have told you that, direct step by step guidance is frowned upon here but the app and vid will show you how to do it in a relatively safe manner.
Although I am not keen on the method of proving the circuit is dead before work starts.

If you had installed the app and watched the vid I posted above, it would have told you that, direct step by step guidance is frowned upon here but the app and vid will show you how to do it in a relatively safe manner.
Although I am not keen on the method of proving the circuit is dead before work starts.

Yeah that’s the same video I posted just a couple comments before yours, I’ve got the app installed but didn’t want to go thro the steps until it was getting installed in case it didn’t let me go through them again so to speak. So do you agree that it will work with my existing wires?

Yeah I’m going to get a professional to do it for me, he’s doing it as a favour so I really wanted it to be as simple as possible and that’s why I bought the E . It’s also a housing association property so if it’s going to require a neutral wire installed then I’m probably going to require permission and other red tape before I can go ahead which will probably lead me to just not doing it.

I’m curious to know why telectrix knows it’s a switched live and not a neutral as every website I’ve looked at says neutral is a blue wire. Is it to do with the wiring diagram I uploaded?
Because Telectrix is a sparks. So he knows

I got the nest thermostat e thermostat professionally installed yesterday using existing wires and nothing more , all seems to be working.

Without causing offence alot of the advice and opinions given on this post were inaccurate.

Reply to Nest e thermostat wiring question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock