Discuss Nest Hello Doorbell help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kwedsd

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to embark on installing a Nest Hello Doorbell. There isn't a doorbell at the moment (no door bell, no doorbell chime although during the renovation cat 6 cable has been laid ), I have got a 8v-24v transformer (https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...le/8707p#product_additional_details_container).

1. Is it possible to spur from a double socket, to connect the transformer? I would use 2.5mm cable and place the transformer in an enclosure.

2. Is the cat6 cable suitable to run the 16v-24v load to the nest hello doorbell ?(I'm not going to install a doorbell chime as i'm going to use google Home Minis around the house).

3. When connecting the Cat6 cable to the transformer should I cable in pairs ie. 2 cores into live and 2 cores into neutral (or should I use less cores or more?)

4. Can anyone think of anything that I might not have considered?

Thanks for all your help

Hi, welcome to the forums.

1. No, you cannot spur directly, it needs a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in it. 2.5mm to the FCU and then 1.5mm to the transformer.

2. Personally I would use 8 core alarm cable and double up cores. It's a smaller cable, more flexible and less susceptible to breaking (most Cat 6 cable will be solid core unless you buy the stuff for making patch cables)

3. See above

4. WiFi signal strength by the location of the doorbell unit. Possibly employ a spark to install it, in particular the mains side of things as there are things to consider when taking a spur from a socket (like the socket may already be a spur and you cannot spur from it).

Hope that helps.

Thanks, for your help. The Cat6 cable has already been run to the door under the flooring previously, as we were going to use a BPT intercom system. The socket is on a ring and hasn't been spurred off. Will defo. use a fused connection helps with isolation, which I didn't consider. I know the Cat6 cable can be brittle and snap, so i'm going to run a small length of 1.5mm cable from the transformer and join to the Cat6 cable using Wago connector blocks that should give me a snug / tight connection and I'll box everything in a din enclosure for tidiness.

Reply to Nest Hello Doorbell help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock