Discuss Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

So bought my self a Nest and plan to give a go at instaling it over the weekend.

I whiped open my currently installed digital programer and have this.

Can anyone work out or give any tips on how to install the heat link to my current wiring???

at first look it dosnt look like it will be a stright swap

Thanks
Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice nest-thermostat-eu-gen3-cables - EletriciansForums.net Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice 41705187_1730505940395330_161567319531716608_n - EletriciansForums.net Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice 41733107_1870840296326703_7303814452053278720_n - EletriciansForums.net

Hi,

First question you should ask yourself is are you competent to install this?

If your after a walkthrough then I'd say not , not meaning to sound rude.

Have you called Nest?

Looks like a fairly simple job to do, easy to check your pics against the wiring to work it out. Would need to link Live & com so com gets power.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply, like you said should be a fairly simple job so feel pretty competent I could do it, Not really after a walk through just some advice on how the current timer is already wired up as I can't really make sense of the current wiring.

As the current programmer only does heating I was expecting to see a live, natural and call for heat connected so am confused as to why i have 3 cables coming through the wall,

Yes there is a current thermostat on the wall separate from the programmer so my plane was to put the heat link in replace of the current programmer and the nest thermostat replace of my current thermostat

Going off what I can see,

You have Live, Neutral in one 1 cable

Live out to thermostat, switch live return from thermostat onto the Common on the other red/black cable

Boiler live from terminal 3 and neutral in the brown/blue

Is that correct?

Your existing programmer has L&N and also a normally open contact across 1 & 3. If you have a room thermostat too then its normally open contacts will be also be in series with terminals 1&3 and then onto your wiring center if you have an indirect cylinder or straight to the boiler if you have a combi.

That seems correct to me

So am I right in thinking it should just be a straight swap over for programmer to the nest heat link?

I might be way off but looking at the nest heatlink wiring diagram something like this?? I'm not sure what cable goes in common?? and the nest thermostat will only except 12v power surly my
current one is running way over that!

Old Programmer > Nest Heat Link

Live (Red) > Live
Netural (Black) > Neutral

Boiler Live (3) (Brown) > (3) Call For Heat
Neutral (Blue) > ???

Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice nest-thermostat-eu-gen2-cables - EletriciansForums.net

The Heat Link has a 240v supply across L&N

2&3 open when satisfied and close when calling for heat.

T1 and T2 connect the Heat Link unit to the Thermostat using a combined 12v supply and control signal combined. To answer your query the 12v is supplied from the Heat link unit.

Do you have a water cylinder that is heated from your boiler?

Connect the cable from the thermostat to T1 & T2 on the heatlink

Live and Neutral + blue neutral

Link from your live to terminal 2

Brown to terminal 3

Before you put the actual thermostat onto the base, double check you only have 12v DC there

I think the OP should:

A. Pay for an installer

B. Seek advice from the supplier

or

C. Seek advice from Nest

Why should we be giving expertise away?

Yup, I completely get that the heat link supplies the thermostat with the required 12v.

so which of my current wires do I connect to 2&3 on the heat link?

The boiler is just a standard combi boiler

Sorry, Murdoch, I though this forum was designed for DIYers to get advice so hence i came for advice!

"This forum is for DIY electrical advice only. Do-It-Yourself electrical warriors are welcome in this DIY Electrics Forum. We have a few dedicated professional electricians willing to provide electrical advice to DIYers in here."

@buzzlightyear

Why the dumb?

OP can only say if their competent to do it.

As others have said before this site is not meant for walkthroughs but for advice.

Thought I'd made a fair enough comment asking if they had contacted Nest's help line especially as they haven't paid for a install

My last paragraph pointed them in the direction to work out the wiring but didn't give the a full walkthrough. But as other's have said:

Black & Blues in Neutral
Left Red in Live + a link wire to Com
Right Red in Com which also has the link wire to live
Brown in On
The bare copper twisted Earths should be sleeved & in Earth

If thermostat is connected to boiler then they would need disconnecting & either use the nest thermostat wirelessly or connect it to T1 & T2 so it gets 12v.

If boiler has built in timer then this would need setting to permanently on so the Nest controller could then work as the timer.

All this is assuming they only have 1 zone

Sorry, Murdoch, I though this forum was designed for DIYers to get advice so hence i came for advice!

"This forum is for DIY electrical advice only. Do-It-Yourself electrical warriors are welcome in this DIY Electrics Forum. We have a few dedicated professional electricians willing to provide electrical advice to DIYers in here."

There are limits and the number of people wanting advice on these things is getting absurd ......

The manufacturers and suppliers are making the money and people on here are giving away technical information for free .... then people moan they can’t earn a living .... or charge for certain work ..

I want so guidance from a solicitor on something very basic .... it’s going to cost me .....

Nest have a list of Pro Installers here. They also have a Support section which also gives details on how to install your Nest Products.

Reply to Nest Thermostat Heat Link Wireing advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock