Discuss networking problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tornadoarnold

i have been asked to change a 1 gang network socket with a 2 gang socket. there is only one cable to this socket. as i understand it, it can be done because only two pairs out of the 4 in cat 5 cable ar normally used.

the guy wants to basically run 2 computers from one cable. can this be done and how do i go about it.

any ideas?

i have been asked to change a 1 gang network socket with a 2 gang socket. there is only one cable to this socket. as i understand it, it can be done because only two pairs out of the 4 in cat 5 cable ar normally used.

the guy wants to basically run 2 computers from one cable. can this be done and how do i go about it.

any ideas?

If the cable is quite short ( less than 5 metres or so ) You will probably get away with useing the spares. I have used that method several times in the past when I have come across faulty cat 5 cables. You would be well advised to run another cable as a permanent solution.

Or some kind of network hub:
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B000NNM6PQ]8 Port RJ45 Nway LAN Network Ethernet Hub Switch 10/100: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
I'm no network engineer but I've seen it done in offices where there has been a lack of outlets.

If the cable is quite short ( less than 5 metres or so ) You will probably get away with useing the spares. I have used that method several times in the past when I have come across faulty cat 5 cables. You would be well advised to run another cable as a permanent solution.

whay cant you use the spare cores to wire an additional point? and whay the lenght limitation? Askikng since not done network before but been asked to put in a point and thinking about my response.

Hi

I would run another cat 5 cable but if this is a problem you can get ethernet splitters but you need to fit splitter on the computer end and at the patch panel if it is used or the router, you dont say where the cable comes from ie patch panel of direct from a router either way you need a splitter on each end, and the distance needs to short.

Danny

see here is where it is getting more complicated. the run from the router to the office is about 20m to the socket he wants doubling up. then the other computer he wants to link is another 50m away in a caravan. at the moment i have made him a temporary lead but he wants a network point to his caravan properly wired. looking to bury the cable. from the van to the office.

so would i be right in thinking the best way is to leave it as a single socket, add one of these network/ethernet switches, and bring the cable from the van to the network switch, and have the office computer going to the switch too.

I am by no means an expert in this field but i installed something similar at home and used an ethernet switch with no problems.

P.S. You will need to use outdoor cat 5e

see here is where it is getting more complicated. the run from the router to the office is about 20m to the socket he wants doubling up. then the other computer he wants to link is another 50m away in a caravan. at the moment i have made him a temporary lead but he wants a network point to his caravan properly wired. looking to bury the cable. from the van to the office.

so would i be right in thinking the best way is to leave it as a single socket, add one of these network/ethernet switches, and bring the cable from the van to the network switch, and have the office computer going to the switch too.

Yes thats right. The Only downside is that there will be a very slight loss of speed, however in a normal office environment it will pass unnoticed. Bear in mind the maximum cable run of 100 metres.

I have done a fair bit of network cabling and this isn't a great idea, although it would probably work you might get issues with loss / speed etc. and I wouldn't do it for risk of callback. I've done it before, but wouldn't again...

What you could suggest is a splitter as previously mentioned. That way, no need to disrupt the existing wiring, easy and cheap to do, and if it doesn't work too well you only need unplug and say you advised them of that.

Try this

http://www.millsltd.com/index.php?o...page=shop.flypage&product_id=262456&Itemid=26

It is possible to split the cable as described. i would personally put him off this idea and use a mini hub what less than £20 or a new cable because if he wants to start running at faster speeds or large files hes gonna start getting all sorts of issues. This may be of some use to you.

Cat5e cables have 8 wires (4 pairs) and
under 10 or 100Mbps, only the green and
orange pairs are actually used; Pin #’s 1, 2,
3, and 6. This freely translated means that
you can run two 10 or 100Mbps data links
by utilizing all the wires in your cable.
Before you ask, nope, a splitter cannot be
used on a 1000Mbps data link - since it​
requires all 8 wires to operate.

thanks for the advice guys.

spoke to an I.T. guy too and what i will do is leave it as a single socket on the wall then bring in a ethernet switch/ hub to give me the extra sockets. hopefully there should be less messing around then.

Yep, that's what I run in house. Router upstairs with a switch upstairs and a switch downstairs with just one feed down to the switch. That allows for multimedia box, wii etc and a couple of laptops down in the lounge. You won't need a gigabit switch if you only want low bandwidth stuff so can save a bit of dosh that way.

Reply to networking problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net