Discuss neutral and earth reversal with a mft in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please don't lambast me over this question!!! Some time ago there was controversy over the simple plug in socket testers on their unreliability due to the non -detection of a neutral and earth reversal.Obviously a figure of eight test would pick this failure up.I remember old multi function testers not being able to do this either, as i personally tried this anyway to conform this( reason being n&e same at star point )Someone i was speaking to today said his MFT picked this n&e reversal up and i was certainly not convinced by this.I took my 2391 approx 10 years ago so do little testing if any since then,so please no answers like oh!! you should have known we all start from somewhere.!!!!

what is that reply in English please???, "even by did standards" quote, lol no decent working sparks would wire intentionaly reverse earth and neutral and leave it!!! of course i am not advocating that. What i was saying a diy' er could have wired it as this and not picked up with a socket tester or mft . Not that i endorse socket testers for that simple reason

Last edited:
Sorry mate fones been changing words again!
Was meant to say-
I don't think any multifunction tester can detect n-e reversal, for the reason you mention.
Fortunately you would have to be pretty thick even by diy standards to get n-e wrong!

Sorry mate fones been changing words again!
Was meant to say-
I don't think any multifunction tester can detect n-e reversal, for the reason you mention.
Fortunately you would have to be pretty thick even by diy standards to get n-e wrong!

thanks no prob,my thoughts exactly no multi function tester can detect N&E REVERSAL he just seemed so adamant ,bit of a bull******* anyway!!!! Done it all la di da etc ,i was nearly convinced lol when someone is like that you self doubt yourself!!!! Yes it is stupid to wire like that ,but it does happen thats the whole idea of testing for that reason.

Reply to neutral and earth reversal with a mft in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net