Discuss Neutral Earth Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

ok ok so I tested this old 3036 board a week ago ready to change today, all ok, nothing bad.

went today to change the board, changed it all etc, had to extend two legs, but other than that, nice job.

i go to switch it on prior to testing like you do, and one of the RCDs won't hold.

bugger, what have I done? Scratching head...

tested IR and its 0.02 between neutral and earth, so I think maybe I missed something previously, I quickly removed a few faceplates as there were only 6 sockets on that ring as it happend, nothing obvious.

anyway, so I think I'll try continuity between Earth and neutral at one we of the ring and got 0.61 and did it the other end and it was 0.02, so I think, that's a bit sodding close to the board, what could it be?

so I start t remove that circuit from the board thinking maybe of done something strange with a joint where I'd extended the leg... Nothing.

so I stand back and think what the heck is it, then I think hang on those shelves weren't there before.... Three large oak shelves, in the return on the wall directly sbove the fuse box....

i thought, I wonder... So got the meter out and touched it on a screw head on the bottom shelf and would you sodding believe it I had continuity!!!

anyway, so I removed the screw and it resolved my problem...

Customer later returns home, says everything ok? I said yes, it is now...

i said they are nice shelves, did you fit them? No we had someone do it for us.... I said tell them they drilled through a cable.

thete were probably 8 cables going straight up the wall where he had drilled 3 holes so not sure how he managed to miss the others, luck I say!

anyway...

I may have misread that but I couldn't see the bit where you removed the damaged cable and replaced it. You obviously didn't leave a damaged cable in the wall, imagine the poor sod putting wet filler in the hole and getting a shock!

Changing the board was the first part of many other jobs I'm doing there over the next week, so will replace the damaged section this week at some point, they want quite a lot of other bits done and this just adds to the list.

Can't leave that cable in there without repairing it, must have missed that bit when you said you repaired it.

Oh well that's allright, you've isolated the damaged cable until it's repaired then?
It's not just a damaged cable sitting in the wall, with a partially cut live core getting nice and hot as current goes through it, or frayed bits of damaged copper waiting to make contact as soon as someone slams a door and the wall vibrates.

To change the board you have to test first surely , there could be any fault imaginable even if it was in service before, this would have given rise to the damaged cable before attempting to liven it up...

You cannot tell me you test fully every circuit prior to energising every single time? The whole lot got tested. Don't sound so surprised!

Well actually yes I would test afterwards, why was the board deemed for a change in the first place?

You cannot tell me you test fully every circuit prior to energising every single time? The whole lot got tested. Don't sound so surprised!

When replacing a DB yes, but I carry out the tests as I am fitting it. Helps to make sure I haven't made any mistakes in the labelling/identifying of rings

Oh well that's allright, you've isolated the damaged cable until it's repaired then?
It's not just a damaged cable sitting in the wall, with a partially cut live core getting nice and hot as current goes through it, or frayed bits of damaged copper waiting to make contact as soon as someone slams a door and the wall vibrates.

Can't leave that cable in there without repairing it, must have missed that bit when you said you repaired it.

It will be replaced tomorrow or Thursday.... I'm not going to leave it! Jeeees calm down, what do you take me for!

It will be replaced tomorrow or Thursday.... I'm not going to leave it! Jeeees calm down, what do you take me for!

So in the mean time it could catch fire or worse still kill someone, if you couldn't repair it righr away then imo you should have isolated the dodgy circuit until the repair has been done.

Reply to Neutral Earth Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock