Discuss Neutral/Earth Fault in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

are you talking wiring faults or installations with appliances causing faults etc.

if to do with wiring you often find a neatral in a metal box been caught by a screw or something, and at ceiling roses a screw that caught the lampholder neutral connection on the 2nd fix stage, lots of posibilities, chase that fault with a megger!! i love fault finding find it much more interesting than the other mondane electrics!

Does anyone have experience of neutral/earth faults and how you found it?

Have you isolated which circuit has the neutral to earth fault yet, thats the starting point.

split each neutral in turn from the neutral bar and IR test it to the earth bar.

Once you have found the circuit, walk to the middle of the circuit (or where you think it is) Split the neutral (lets say its a a ceiling rose) and IR test each one to earth. You find the half of the circuit the fault is in, then just keep splitting down. This is the 'split half' tecnique, i have used it extensively with large machine control circuits

Great thanks everyone - I will investigate as you [all] described. The circuit is a radial socket cct (not installed by myself). I noticed that one of the socket circuits was not on the RCD side of the board - I tried it in the RCD side and, probably, found why the person who changed the consumer (apparently 3 years ago) had not included this cct on the RCD side; the RCD kept tripping. So, I had a look in all the sockets (metal clad 2G type) but could not find anything obvious so I guess the fault must lie within the interconnections or from the board to the first socket (of course its all hidden underfloors, walls etc along with any JBs). With this type of issue what are the possible consequences, live metalwork; MCBs not tripping in the specified times; nuisance tripping; fire hazard?

Thanks

its also not unheard of for sockets to be faulty either, give them an ins res test as well

It's not bound to be a fault, any equipment plugged in may be neutral earthed anyhow, transformers on ch systems, some elv lighting systems, door bell spur off ring circuit, door entry, cctv, elv fans in bathrooms, burglar alarm.. loads of external stuff will seem earth neutral fault, old trannies trip rcd's -;)

It's not bound to be a fault, any equipment plugged in may be neutral earthed anyhow, transformers on ch systems, some elv lighting systems, door bell spur off ring circuit, door entry, cctv, elv fans in bathrooms, burglar alarm.. loads of external stuff will seem earth neutral fault, old trannies trip rcd's -;)

what if they are not full trannies and just like the occasional bit of cross dressing?

sorry, couldnt resist it!:p

Right thanks for the help guys - the last few comments arent particularly helpful (funny though). I'll bear hasel5 comments in mind when I read some of the other questions on the forum and find the garbage that some people call good work.

Reply to Neutral/Earth Fault in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock