Discuss Neutral earth fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

its feeding an old immersion tank and two sockets in the bedroom havent done IR as it would mean rooting about in the bedroom having to unplug everything and i have to make clear how manky this house is but it isnt tripping it straight away some times it will stay on for two min some times a hour so im guessing its only tripping under load

its feeding an old immersion tank and two sockets in the bedroom havent done IR as it would mean rooting about in the bedroom having to unplug everything and i have to make clear how manky this house is but it isnt tripping it straight away some times it will stay on for two min some times a hour so im guessing its only tripping under load

So you've changed a CU, not done a IR, not unplugged everything and wonder why its tripping???

I wouldn't. My CU change estimates include a caveat about faults discovered during the change and additional charges being made.

How are you going to complete the EIC if you haven't tested that circuit properly. You know its the immersion and sockets so that's half the discovery done

You originally said "heating" and now its immersion - if its the latter I'd be looking at the connections at the immersion first.

first thing is to diss. the imm. heater, either by switching off the FCU if it'd D/P, or diss. the cable from the heater. that is the most likely culprit for your fault--the immersion heater element.

Yeah disconnect the element from the supply and try IR between L-N and N-E if eaither are short theb that's mostly your problem. You'll get dead shhort between L-N but you knew that anyway :)

Yeah disconnect the element from the supply and try IR between L-N and N-E if eaither are short theb that's mostly your problem. You'll get dead shhort between L-N but you knew that anyway :)

You will get an IR reading of 0.00 M ohms. That's not a dead short, otherwise it would have gone BANG by now...

James

In answer to your question its a big NO.

The regs do allow you to place circuits on un RCD protected ways in certain circumstances but never when a fault exists on the circuit.

I am affraid you will have to trace the circuit and fault or leave it disconnected and explain to the customer the reasons why!

I swapped a db on a job yesterday and there is a fault on the heating circuit and i just cant find it in the most disgusting house you have ever seen what is the deal with putting it on the non rcd side? can i do it
Just wondering if you are asking such a basic question should you be replacing a db
the route of the cables alone start to answer that one for you.

Suck it up and don`t breathe through your nose. Get those circuits tested, find and fix the fault. Issue cert, get paid-premium charge for the scummy conditions.
Learn from it and move on. Just when you think that you have been in hell, along comes hell 2.
I worked in a property once were the fella new about a dead rat in the bottom of his boiler cupboard and he just let it de-compose and rot away

Nothing to stop YOU putting it on the non RCB side what so ever. But think about the implications first, it's easier than afterwards when the judge wants to know why?

Reply to Neutral earth fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock