Discuss Neutral / earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

had this yesterday on a TN-S. both RCDs failed to trip on test button and with MFT. found the cable responsible and dissed it, both RCDs now tripping fine. further investigation next week as 1. the cable is short and disappears behind meter board. 2. no idea what the cable feeds as nothing seems to have stopped working.

had this yesterday on a TN-S. both RCDs failed to trip on test button and with MFT. found the cable responsible and dissed it, both RCDs now tripping fine. further investigation next week as 1. the cable is short and disappears behind meter board. 2. no idea what the cable feeds as nothing seems to have stopped working.
it`l be for a bypass...

RCD will only trip if there's current flowing down to earth. If there's no load on the RCD it won't trip. Other option is that it's faulty, if you ramp test it you'll know for sure.

Are you asking why an RCD won't trip when you have Earth-Neutral link at incomer (as per PME/TNCS)?

If so this is because the RCD only monitors the circuit it is protecting (on the load side of the unit)

There is plenty of literature etc around explaining in detail how RCDs work - if you are in training it's worth a look.

If I misunderstood your question then ignore!

It's like why dies it keep tripping when applying a load... But you have got the grey as the earth instead of neutral......, I know

Reply to Neutral / earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

5 single phases to one huge property. Backup generator which can take about 106 amps split between 2 phases - 1 phase will be wired through...
Replies
Views
Hi was recently at a property and was installing a Solar PV system. was doing my testing and i came across a weird result when doing the...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I had a quick Friday afternoon domestic job that has turned into a PITA and I'd appreciate your help. While adding some new lights...
Replies
Views
I'm in a questions asking mood tonight. I briefely looked at a job today and I need to recommend a board change but need to justify it. Firstly...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock