Discuss Neutral Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lee_Dicks

Hi guys and girls
I have had a phone call from a friend saying that the socket under the kitchen counter for there washing machine is not working.
I tried a socket tester in it and there is a neutral fault. IRd the circuit and tested all the other sockets. All's fine.
The socket is controlled by an FCU located above the counter the fault is between here and the socket beneath the worktop. The FCU controls the socket and an outside socket. I have tried them individually and there is a fault on BOTH sockets.

I am still in training and there electrician is on holiday any help will be greatly appreciated.

I took it off and checked wiring. It's all wired correctly, load from socket next to it and supply to both sockets. Swapped the fuse to make sure.

As above either neutral as come loose on loadside or fcu is faulty on neutral outfeed

Ok I will swap it for one of the other ones in the kitchen and try again.
Thank you all for your help

By the way while I have you on here can anyone tell me what they think of the 2365 parts one and 2?

as said above. badd connection on N in FCU or duff FCU. as for the last question part 1 comes 1st.

Checked visually and checked connections are tight after checking the copper connections
What am I missing?

IR for kitchen circuit was above 200Mohms (tested with fuses from fcu removed) so I'm a bit stuck there.
Volt tested as well socket next to fcu was at 243V but at socket in question was at about 12V (forgot to mention that earlier) a socket tester showed a neutral fault (checked it on all sockets in kitchen and front room all working)

I checked the wiring of both sockets in question the FCU and the socket controlling them. All visually and checking the copper is fixed

What do you mean by break down box?
I have checked the continuity between supply socket and load at both sockets in question and there is continuity between all even through the FCU

What do you mean by break down box?
I have checked the continuity between supply socket and load at both sockets in question and there is continuity between all even through the FCU
well...
it dont add up...does it Lee...

check polarity (use a loop tester to do this)...whilst you are at it get a Zpn...see what value you get...

you will/should know if its abnormally high....as you cant be 100% sure that plug in tester is OK....better to have some proper values...

Hi Lee, you say the socket under the worktop and the exterior socket are fed from the load side of the FCU above the worktop, isolate and lock off the circuit supplying these sockets, then disconnect the cable feeding these two sockets from the load terminals of the FCU, all three of them cpc, line and neutral and carry out the tests from there, IR, continuity etc? you should be able to verify where the fault lies. Good luck

Reply to Neutral Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock