Discuss New 4mm T&E feed to existing remote 2.5mm ring. OK or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I wouldn’t use nyy for that purpose.
I would use swa and do it properly.
What is the installation method?
Hi Charlie. Rather than my go through all the arguments again :) , please see my other thread:
NYY for a sub-main
I have yet to hear a convincing reason why one should always follow 'convention' and use SWA, especially in internal-only and loft space domestic installations. And especially not to follow the other 'convention' of bloody horrible T&E for sub-mains, which I think is amateurish. Even if it is compliant (sometimes).

Seems to me you should be getting someone experienced in to sort this. Messing about with existing 3 phase, especially involving an old farm supply, sounds pretty dodgy. Local authority will need informing too, presumably.
Oh dear, here we go again. But yes, you're probably right. I have been 'messing about' with this for only 50 years, so need a rest and perhaps it is time I gave way to someone with more experience. Who do you know? Preferably someone who's still alive. :)

Maybe this will help ...
Yes, I know, but if NYY is so clearly non-compliant (and in this case only according to the opinion of one bloke who wrote the paper), then why is it so widely sold?

And can you say you have never used NYY (or, previously, 'Hi-tuf'), or SY anywhere, ever, in an installation, and that you would fail on inspection, any installation which contains it? If not then no offence please, but your argument rather fails by counter-example.

I prefer to make technical judgments based on science and direct observation rather than on specious arguments based often on commercial protectionism between suppliers rather than on technical merit.

OK, back to the original question. :)

The reason I enquired about the 'lollipop' circuit is that although it's obviously OK electrically (and I didn't want to suggest that outright so as not to be accused of technical immodesty) I had, and still have, a sneaking suspicion that there's a reg somewhere about changing conductor size mid-circuit, which may inadvertently prohibit the practice. I've forgotten a lot of things, and hoped someone here might refresh the memory :)

Alternatively, I'll give up, remove one leg of the RFC from the 'final' socket, join the other leg to more 2.5mm, protect it at 16A and make it a radial.

I've never liked rings anyway.

That solution is clearly 100% compliant, and easy to understand by those who come after me, but maybe the potentially non-compliant alternative would have been a better-engineered way of doing the job.

Oh dear, here we go again. But yes, you're probably right. I have been 'messing about' with this for only 50 years, so need a rest and perhaps it is time I gave way to someone with more experience. Who do you know? Preferably someone who's still alive. :)
Well, you know it all, anyway. Why bother, your minds made up. Right or wrong, if it works, you'll be fine, I'm sure.
Still messing, eh? 50 years for a piddling little job says it all.

It’s not just one bloke.
Its basec and many others.
Those cables have their uses but not for what you are proposing.
Yes I do fail installations based on their non compliant use.
You mentioned yy and I offered you an opinion.

Based on your technical expertise I’m surprised you are stumped by such a very simple rfc problem.

Well, you know it all, anyway. Why bother, your minds made up. Right or wrong, if it works, you'll be fine, I'm sure.
Still messing, eh? 50 years for a piddling little job says it all.

Ha Ha! You completely misjudge me. I'm a scientist by nature and training: it's always a pleasure to be proved wrong and hence to learn something new. That's how science works.

But rather than receive an ad hominem attack from behind anonymity, I'd prefer to hear why, technically, what I propose is 'wrong'. Explain that, clearly, and I'd be the first to thank you for teaching me something new.

Go ahead please.

Cheers, Mark

... Those cables have their uses but not for what you are proposing.
Yes I do fail installations based on their non compliant use.
You mentioned yy and I offered you an opinion....
OK, fair enough, and thank you for the opinion.

Here's the spec of what I ordered:
NYY spec
Are you sure you think it's non-compliant?

It's interesting to get opinions on this forum, all from experienced and qualified electricians, but those opinions are often in direct opposition. All cannot be right.

Ha Ha! You completely misjudge me. I'm a scientist by nature and training: it's always a pleasure to be proved wrong and hence to learn something new. That's how science works.

But rather than receive an ad hominem attack from behind anonymity, I'd prefer to hear why, technically, what I propose is 'wrong'. Explain that, clearly, and I'd be the first to thank you for teaching me something new.

Go ahead please.

Cheers, Mark
Keep learning, prof. We all are.
As I intimated, you've got all the answers....

Didn’t realise you had another thread.
I’ve posted onto there.
That cable is non compliant.
The standards are irrelevant for this country, my information is from the governing bodies..
Not my opinion, I have to comply with the use of standard cables as a responsible electrician.. insurance purposes, etc..

You are a diyer so perhaps you play by different rules.

That cable is non compliant. ...
Interesting new evidence. What date is your BASEC e-mail please?
This must, by extension, mean that the wide supply of these cables by all the big suppliers*, obviously for inclusion in regulated installations in the UK, is effectively fraudulent. Any reasonable person would believe that cables sold by legitimate suppliers would be legally usable.
This is potentially a big story, with costs running into millions.
Taken at face value, it means that every installation which contains these cables should be condemned as non-compliant. It has massive insurance implications.

* EDIT: And the supplier I used is a major sponsor of this forum ...

My email is over a year old but still relevant.
Basec have rolled out a program to have these type of cables approved but as of yet none of the manufacturers have had them approved by Basec.

It's non compliant for your intended use. There are systems where it is compliant and, as a result, it can be acquired, legitimately. What it is used for is the buyer's choice....compliant or not.

Reply to New 4mm T&E feed to existing remote 2.5mm ring. OK or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock