Discuss New am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, just been given the paper work for my AM2 which is in a few weeks. I'v just read through it and can't work out whether they expect you to do ALL the containment aswell? Is it trunking and conduit?

cheers

Richard

I have just sat my AM2 today. Installation almost complete, and then the fault finding to do. Just chatting to the other boys doing the test and they have done the lighting circuit differently. I took the t&e from the board to the 1st switch (Feed into the COM and neutral and earth into push connectors). Then I took the three core and earth from 1st switch to the 2nd switch (intermediate). Two of the cores are obviously strappers and i used one of the cores as a neutral (connectors again). Repeated for 2nd and 3rd switch . Then a t&e from the 3rd switch to the light. All the neutrals and earths are in the three switches in push in connectors. Is this the right thing to do or have i messed it up? I know the light will work 100% but Im not too sure if this is what the assessors are looking for. Also has anyone any tips or pointers for the fault finding aspect of the assessment? I dont really know what they are looking for again for example if there is a neutral missing from a light etc. Do I write neutral missing from point A to B, rewire including neutral?

Hey wee-ron. Did the new AM2 about 2 months ago and passed. As far as i remember the assessors are looking for just one cable at the light fitting as that it what is shown in the diagram, so as long as it works it sounds like you have done it right. Fault finding as i remember things like:

Poor continuity on main bonding conductors.
Reverse polarity in accessories(3ph socket and motor for me)
Broken continuity in conductors( both line and neutral, missing neutral in a heating programmer for me)

Best to test things with long lead method and just keep a cool head. make use of wiring diagrams and info provided if stuck.

Also i think with the fault finding you can start and finish finding a fault at anytime, so if your struggling on one, leave it, start another and come back to it, you might just find whilest diagnosing another fault you have a brainwave.

All you have to do is write a breif summary on a sheet provided

i.e fault 1: reverse polarity in rear of commando socket

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Infamous thanks for the reply...really helpful.

Lets hope your right that the assessors are only looking for one t&e at the light. Which way did you wire the lighting circuit Infamous?

I think during my fault finding assessment I will need to explain how to rectify the fault also. Your tips are very much appreciated.

WR :cool3:

Ah yes, so just right a quick summary on rectification I.E reverse polarity, swap cables around at the correct location etc.

The one that cropped up on fault finding that people i noticed struggled with was a fault regarding a tingling sensation between a metal casing and a water pipe. Some of the other candidates were checking for earth faults, but it isnt that type of fault, its more of a case of poor continuity on one of the CPCs/MB conductors causing a slight potential difference between the points. Recmend re wire of cables, etc.

I definately wired my installation with one cable at the luminaire. If i remember correctly i wired it the same as you but instead of taking a neutral to each switch in my 3 core i took a permanenent feed and connected that in a connector block, and into the common of the final switch and just a two core from my first switch to the luminaire, so i had 3 cables at my first switch, LNE feed in, strappers and common to switches, and to LNE luminaire. Allthough as i remember the key part is one cable at the light. Id double check your wiring diagram and see if it shows 3 cables at the first switch or not, If it doesnt then what you have done is fine, worse case scenario if it does however would be to just bring your t + e from light to your first switch instead of the last switch and change those flagged neutrals for permanent lives

anyone know what sort of multi questions are in the new AM2 got mine next tuesday, went for the pre-am2 today said there is no example question and no mock?

I got that fault Infamous. It really threw me.

I was expecting that no earth would be present at either point but as i was belling this out it appeared that the earth was present and correct. I thought that maybe the earth wasnt big enough and I briefly mentioned high resistance earthing. I said to fix it I would have pulled in a larger earth to the enclosure, Im not too hopeful that I got this fault correct. But the other faults I got seemed to be easy enough. Just a waiting game now lol.

All of my installations worked correctly so I think I have passed that ok. Just alittle doubtful of the fault finding.

WR

Tanner I cant remember which questions I got on my online exam but they say that anything that has been in the syllabus over the past four years can come up. The good thing is that it is an open book exam so you can refer to the books as often as you need to but there is only one hour to answer 30 questions so there isnt alot of time available per question.

I have read the various comments regarding the wiring methods refering to the lighting circuit, ie. neutrals etc, to my knowledge it is regarded as bad practice to bring a neutral to a switch box if it is not needed, A clerk of works pulled me for it once, this was wired in singles however.

Why not bring the L-N-E straight to the light??

I'm sitting my am2 tomorrow as far as I'm ware the spec only asks for one cable at the light fitting and the feed to be taken to the switch nearest the light fitting so read the spec!

Reply to New am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock