Discuss New AM2!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stones4

Hi i'm new on here so hello!!
I am really concerned about my up and coming AM2 as i dont do 3 phase,motors,C/heating systems and pvc singles inc earthing of metal containment etc!! What is the online exam like? And which test documantation has to be filled in??
I would appreciate any help regarding the AM2 process of these topics to guide me in the right direction. Thanks :confused:

Well have been told by some of the new apprentices that it is fairly easy in comparison to the old one,
No pyro, no conduit etc.
The motor circuit is wire by numbers and a diagram is included.
For Central Heating systems - look up honeywell sundial plans online.
All the wiring etc. is fairly basic, just like you would do at college, just remeber to earth anything metallic.

good luck

Well that sounds like a really useful qualification to have under your belt!!! What's this AM2 for anyway, ...1st year trainee's?? Ooooops forgot, you can be an electrician in 5 weeks or so now, and i can believe it too, with qualifications as meaningless as this one!!!!

Hi stones4,
Did mine last week, the contactor for the motor is prewired you just go from DB to isolator in starter control with singles, then SY on cable tray to motor box, use proper SY glands to terminate cable. The central heating system is fairly straight forward just follow the numbers (I had never done one before either, but as long as you follow the diagram you shouldn't have a problem). The online exam is multi choice, there has been the odd difficult question reported back at our college but nothing to drastic, you should have a copy of the regs, OSG, GN3, electricians guide to building regs availiable whilst you do the exam.
The test docs are given to you to fill in, you get a schedule of inspections, schedule of test results & installation cert to complete, make sure you fill in as much as possible on them even the page numbers(1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc) as you get marks for everything on there.
When you get to the test centre there will be other rigs already set up for the fault finding, we had a look at these for reference on the bonding for tray & trunking etc.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'll be happy to anwser them if I can just give me a shout.
Good luck! :)

Also did mine last week. (and passed)
Its not hard, everything is labeled, numbered, given in the spec etc..
Use the example booth to check positions of light switches, cat5 points etc.. before you start wiring
The 6mm2 armoured is tricky to terminate into the tiny rotary isolator but its perfectly do-able.
I was worried about the heating but a numbered and coloured drawing is provided and the terminals are also numbered so just follow that and you cant go wrong.
The online exam was okay, however i had three questions on trunking/conduit sizes, two of them didnt have a right answer to choose, i had to ask the examiner to double check and he confirmed that all the answers were wrong on the two questions and to just pick the biggest conduit! for example there were 24x1.5mm 24x2.5mm and 16x4.0mm cables in a length of conduit 3m long and incorporating three 90degree bends, biggest conduit to choose from was 32mm but the cable factor was way higher than 32mm would allow. Absolute ********.

Remember the safe isolation procedure, remember to prove testers before and after testing, also remember to put the padlock key in your pocket!

Fault finding was easy enough, dont want to give anything away but use the low ohms tester aswell as the standard continuity tester..
Good luck!

Top man and congrats thanks Ash.
Ha ha dont want to give anything away??? Why the heck not?? lol

Although its fairly simple, its still a test, cant be giving the faults away! where's the fun in that?! lol

Good luck bud, let us know how you do

Reply to New AM2!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock