Discuss New and old wires in socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IslaView

DIY
Reaction score
New and old wires in socket IMG_20200125_143239 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi, I have a question about the above wiring. We have taken the so ket and box out whilst painting, and will be replacing them with new ones. As you can see in the photo, there is 2 sets of wires, one with new style brown and blue wires and one with the old red and black. When I rewire the socket, do I need to attach both sets of wires to the socket like was previously done, or can I tape off the old one and hide it in the wall?

Any advice appreciated.

Yes. you need to reattach all the wires back into the socket. The brown/blue is obviously a new addition to the existing installation at some time, but the original red/black is still in use.

Please be careful with isolating the circuit. Ive got an awful feeling the cables are live there under the tape.

Yes. you need to reattach all the wires back into the socket. The brown/blue is obviously a new addition to the existing installation at some time, but the original red/black is still in use.

Please be careful with isolating the circuit. Ive got an awful feeling the cables are live there under the tape.
Thanks for the reply. Oh well, had hoped I could make it easier on myself by just wiring up the new ones. Had to do it with another socket and it was a nightmare to get the wires situated in such a way to put them all in.

I switched the electricity off prior to taping up and pulling the box out. Will keep it off until the new box and socket are in place, assuming that is what you mean.

If the old wires have been twisted together, as was the way of doing it years ago, youll find it difficult getting a straight conductor in beside it.
Shouldnt be too much of a problem, the terminals on the back of sockets usually have plenty space.

Just make sure the screws are tight, and theres no bare copper showing outside the terminals

Reactions: DPG
New and old wires in socket Screenshot_20200126-150606 - EletriciansForums.netNew and old wires in socket Screenshot_20200126-150624 - EletriciansForums.net

You may find the above screenshots usual in identifying cable colours. There should also be a label similar to that shown in yellow on your consumer unit.

Cheers for the replies. I'll manage it easy enough, was just trying to make it even easier if I could :D

Now to figure out what to do with the 2 sockets that now don't work after daisy chaining 2 extensions for the sander. It sparked and shut off the electricity, now 2 won't work. Changed the socket front, but didn't help ?

Oh dear.
where was the spark? And was there any damage to the cables behind the socket?

Oh dear.
where was the spark? And was there any damage to the cables behind the socket?
There was a spark from the second extension. The weird thing is the socket they were plugged into still works, it's 2 completely different ones that are no longer working. Wondering if it may have something to do with the old and new wiring. Switching on the electric shower this morning cut the power to the whole house too. That will teach me not to daisy chain! ?

Are the sockets that no longer work attached to the new cable in your photo?

Reactions: DPG

Reply to New and old wires in socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock