Discuss New Apprentice help for tool bags and pretty much everything. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tommholmess

I got an apprenticeship a few weeks ago after working for the company for two months, but then I found out how expensive everything is and how important quality tools are.
At the moment I've got a basic tool selection from a B&Q tool pack I got about five years ago and other tools i've picked up when needed or recommended.
Work are providing a lot of stuff for me, but after reading through here for over an hour just trying to find out the best bag, might aswell ask for some help myself.

I'm looking for a tool bag with plenty of pockets and easy access for tools after my Stanley Fatmax box gave up on me after two months.
I'm also looking for pretty much everything that you think is worth buying and will last, I'm getting bored of powering through poorly made tools.

Edit: Sorry for being a repeated post, I could only find outdated ones but should of looked harder!

Last edited:
Just start off with a good set of VDE screwdrivers and some side snips. I like wera or c.k personally and the fat max bags are still pretty decent. Go to a proper tool shop and dont be afraid to ask for any discount.

And i mean a proper diy shop and not B&Q etc

Last edited:
B&Q Tools are OK for the handyman, like cpr said go to a proper tool shop for your tools, someone once told me buy cheap buy often, so go for good quality it's worth it in the long run.

• You can buy quality, you can buy cheap. Hardly ever at the same time.

• Buy cheap for the stuff you hardly ever use, buy quality for the everyday stuff.

• If you need to borrow something more than once in a week then you probably need to buy one

The stanley fatmax structural foam box is a cheap and tough toolbox for site work.
I use Wiha for VDE drivers, I have also used CK which I would also recommend. I can't recommend CK mechanical tools though... the pliers, cutters, slip joint pliers etc are not built to last. I use Knipex cutters these days.

Do a search on the forum for apprentice tool kits.... there have been a million threads

If you buy one or two things a week you'll be surprised how quickly you'll have a good bag built up. like the others have said, if you're using it every day then you need to spend. Once a week then something cheap will probably do.
You can always ask us if you're not sure about something.

Work sorted me out with some Were screwdrivers and some CK side cutters after laughing at me for going through cheap sets. I think I was pretty lucky with my B&Q set as its the only thing i've ever heard of thats lasted from there, but I'm mostly buying from CEF or other wholesalers with works discount or occasionally Screwfix.
I have been looking at the C.K Electricians Tool Kit as the bag seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but having seen one barely two months old splitting apart I'm looking for something more than afew people seem happy with!

I have been looking at the C.K Electricians Tool Kit as the bag seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.....
I've used the CK Magma MA2632 (T1632) (with the rubberised base) for years. I still have the old blue one in service at the moment and it's around 3-4 years old. It gets used and abused and it's a great tool bag. I just got a spare one which is the newer type black and gray one and it's got better zips than the old type. I'd recommend them to anyone and they're very reasonably priced. You can pick them up for around 30 quid if you shop around.

MA2632-CK-Tools-Magma_300.jpg

i'll second the magma bag. only gripe i have with mine is that it's not tall enough for my set of irazola drivers.

apprentice = low wages. use a tesco bag. when wages go up, you can upgrade to a sainsbury's, and eventually go to the higher levels with a M&S.

I always wondered why tool rolls went out of fashion. When I was an apprentice it was what we used and they worked very well. Would also have no problem with the long Irazola drivers either ;).

Might be a bit late to the party but get yourself access to the trainee section of the forum. I put together a list (in the stickied section), that might be of use to you :)

Reply to New Apprentice help for tool bags and pretty much everything. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net