Discuss New assumed Current Demand of Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky12021986

OMG!! can somebody please point me in the right direction because i am sure that i am looking in the wrong section of the REGS book... here is my question...

Explain with reasons the New Assumed Current Demand of the Installation?

My answer is this...

For economic and reliable design, the maximum demand of an installation shall be assessed. In determining the maximum demand of an installation or part thereof, diversity may be taken into account.

Taken word for word out of 311 of the REGS book.. I am pretty sure that, that still has not answered my question can anybody shed some light on this subject thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
take 100% of the largest load ( usually shower, no diversity), then 40% of the rest added together.

when i was revising or the 2391-2, i could not find an exact reference to that term in any of the books or regs i have.. It was part of a past exam, that i revised from. The other lads i took the course with, couldnt find it either.

Have a look at appendix 1 in the on site guide for details on maximum demand and diversity calculations.

Tel's suggestion gives a more realistic figure to use, but if this is an exam question then you may need to justify more.

take 100% of the largest load ( usually shower, no diversity), then 40% of the rest added together.

what Tel has referred to here is explained more precisely on page 29, 30 and 31 of the electricians design guide. Its well worth getting, if you would like to understand more about electrical design.

what Tel has referred to here is explained more precisely on page 29, 30 and 31 of the electricians design guide. Its well worth getting, if you would like to understand more about electrical design.

How much is that book and where can i get it from do you have a site that i can visit...

The biggest problem with the "total load" is the fact that CU's generally have more breakers than before so the calculations often through up higher loads than are realistic.

I start off by adding them all together and multiplying by 0.4 and see how it looks compared to the home.

EG I viewed a CU replacement job yesterday. The small bungalow has 3 x 30A fuses, 7 x 15A fuses and 2 x 5A fuses which by my ready reakoning gives a total of 205A - and 40% would suggest 80A.

They haven't got an electric shower, nor an electric cooker so I'd hazzard a guess at a total load of no more than 30A

Last edited by a moderator:
the key word is load. An MCB ect is often selected to protect the cable, not always the load. This means that often an MCB rating has no bearing on the current being pulled. The method Tel used with the MCB's is simple, and doesnt require counting the appliances ect. Max demand and diversity calcs are tarted up guesswork most of the time anyway.

Reply to New assumed Current Demand of Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock