Discuss New boy asking for some advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi everyone this is my first time on here and would somebody mind defining the differences between RCD, RCCB, RCBO somebody asked me and i couldnt answer the question properly? Many thanks

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
E

EasyFox

Hi everyone this is my first time on here and would somebody mind defining the differences between RCD, RCCB, RCBO somebody asked me and i couldnt answer the question properly? Many thanks
RCD = Residual Current Device's operate by measuring the current balance between two conductors, phase & neutral. In the event of a fault to earth the rcd contacts open/trip so breaking the circuit, this happens because the rcd has picked up an in-balance of current between the phase & neutral conductors .

RCCB = Residual Current Circuit Breaker, same as the rcd

RCBO = Residual Current Breaker Overload. MCB's that combine the functions of an RCD with overcurrent protection & will respond to both types of fault (will become very popular with the introduction of 17th edition regs)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks mate youve been a great help!!

I think you are right there mate ive got a few in my breaker bin that will come in very handy this year.

Last edited:

Reply to New boy asking for some advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom