Discuss New Build Installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AndrewMgan1976

I went to quote for fitting fire rated downlighters in a new build property tonight, but the customer is looking for them to replace existing pendants and batten holders.

Does anyone know if these are normally fitted adjacent to joists in a new build property?

Didn't think about it till I was half way home!!!!

Hi Andrew,
Do you mean the customer has pendants and batten holders in the room and wants them taken out and replaced with downlights ??

Best regards,
Sav

pendants are normally install on a joist or pad , no matter , check your joist centres, mark out your down lighters and fill any holes ( you will have to take up the floor above )

Ok then, 1st thing 1st. I would do the following.

1/ How many downlights in each room?

2/ How will they be operated i.e 1 gang switch for all of them to come on, or 2 gang switch, so that a certain number work with each switch?

3/ Depending on the wiring, there will be damage done to the ceiling, as in cutting out chases for the cables etc unless access from floor above.

4/ The spotlights , and correct me if I am wrong anyone, must be at least 50mm away from the joists ??

5/ Also, as this is new build, it should have RCD protection for the lights ( cable less than 50mm in walls or partitions)

Regards,
Sav

Maybe I haven't explained it properly, but the customer wants the downlight to be in the same position as the existing pendant, i.e remove pendant, cut hole and fit downlight.

Sorry mate, me being stupid !!!!

Still, the downlights must be at least 50mm from the joists !!!

Best regards,

Sav

Hi again,
can anyone else confirm if the downlights must be at least 50mm from the joists ??? Or if different

Sav

i think its 50mm also remember to take into account any insulation between celing and floor above that will require removing even if using firerated FFS I H8 that term

if you remove pendant,where the cables are hanging out of the ceiling you could make that the far edge of downlight then perhaps use a padsaw to carefully cut out exact hole size as using hole saw would be difficult,i would say that you would have enough room away from joist.

Are you seriously going to replace 1 x pendant for 1 x spot. How do you expect to light the whole of the room - just a thought ! Sorry if i have read this wrong !

Are you seriously going to replace 1 x pendant for 1 x spot. How do you expect to light the whole of the room - just a thought ! Sorry if i have read this wrong !

You have read it right mate, been thinking about that myself mate. Customer says she doesn't want loads of spots everywhere.

One spotlight certainly isn't going to be adequate lighting for a room, tbh it wouldn't even come close to being adequate for mood lighting.

As a rough rule of thumb we have one spot for 3 sqm. So say an 18sqm room would have 6 spots, as i say thats just rough guide though. And if it falls at an odd number we always put the extra one in, it can always have a dimmer put on!!! :D

Last edited:
You say she does't want lot's of spots -then what is the point. My advise is refuse the one spot option and guide her into having a nice decorative light fitting installed. If you go with the one spot option i bet you will end up removing it ,thus leavining at least a 2/3 inch hole to patch up. As the professional you should have a care of duty to offer the best advise possible. I've never heard anything more BIZZARE than just 1 x spot .

What do other's think & What is your MOST BIZZARE REQUEST ?

The regs do state that any light fitting should have adequate support, up to so many KG's.

Not sure on the reg number but im sure Sintra may have an idea.

Anyhow, if thats the case then there will more than likely be wooden batten of some sort behind the pendant.

The fixing supporting a light fitting must be able to support a weight of at least 5kg. 559.6.1.5

guess how i feel after fitting 80 downlights in a four bed house,on a similar theme someone at work told me that a sparky mate of his had installed 60 downlights in a house and used old brown jbs,he has to replace them all och all at his own cost.

Reply to New Build Installations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock