Discuss New build outside light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

clematis432

Regular EF Member
Hi, is it a requirement to run an earth wire to outside light(although its double insulated) or is it probably just best practice ? I was replacing my son,s existing outside light on a new build house with a pir security light but found there was no earth to his existing light. Thanks

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Hi, is it a requirement to run an earth wire to outside light(although its double insulated) or is it probably just best practice ? I was replacing my son,s existing outside light on a new build house with a pir security light but found there was no earth to his existing light. Thanks
All electrical points require a cpc (earth wire) whether used or not

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Either I'm going blind or it's not in the book that every circuit shall have a CPC?

Sanity check please, 543 onwards.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Have a closer look, guess the new build sparky has snipped off the annoying earth wire; it'll be hidden inside the outer sheathing.

Risteard

Respected Member
Either I'm going blind or it's not in the book that every circuit shall have a CPC?

Sanity check please, 543 onwards.
Every point in the wiring (not just every circuit) must have a cpc terminated. So obviously a cpc is required at a luminaire, whether inside or outside.

OP
C

clematis432

Regular EF Member
Thanks gents, just wonder now if my son can push Bellway(the builder) to run an earth to the light fitting. The house is 15 months old

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
you might want to check all the lighting points for a cpc. Switches and lights.
I would think a new build domestic property would be wired in grey twin and earth.... and the earth is there, just cut off.
It could be a pain if there’s not enough spare cable to pull

Reactions: DPG

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Every point in the wiring (not just every circuit) must have a cpc terminated. So obviously a cpc is required at a luminaire, whether inside or outside.
But where is it written? I'm not being pedantic, I can't find it in the book.

Ian1981

Forum Mentor
While we’re on he subject then, if say a klix box has a cpc to it, I am ok to plug 2c off that to class 2 fittings?
I would personally say that the cable from the klix box should be at least a 3 core (containing a cpc) as it is not the same as a lamp holder given as an exception in the regulation unless your primary means of protection is the protective measure double Or reinforced insulation which is not permitted in a domestic installation.

OP
C

clematis432

Regular EF Member
Thanks for all your replies gents, appreciated, so bottom line, a CPC should have been at the light even though it was a double insulated fitting ?

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Noting one should never say never, I can't believe a new build with no CPC at the light fitting. It's very likely there but has been cut back at the end of the grey sheath rather than spend 10 seconds terminating it properly.

Reactions: DPG

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Some manufacturers provide their lights with a short 2 core flex, but any cabling I do always has CPC.

essex

Forum Mentor
If the light is double insulated then ADS is not applicable so the earth to the point is a non-starter.

A double insulated piece of electrical equipment does not need an earth run to it.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
If the luminare is supplied by way of a lighting coupler such as a ceiling rose I see no point in providing an earth to the fitting. If it is connected directly then the presence of a cpc is likely to be present in the cable. If at some point the fitting is replaced with a unit which requires an earth then the means of providing this should be readily accessible so if a ceiling rose is employed it should not be inaccessible.

OP
C

clematis432

Regular EF Member
Essex, what happens in my son,s case, when he is changing the existing light fitting for a different one. Is it just tough luck, you will now need to run in your own earth now ?
Seems a bit shabby for a new build.

OP
C

clematis432

Regular EF Member
Essex, what happens in my son,s case, when he is changing the existing light fitting for a different one. Is it just tough luck, you will now need to run in your own earth now ?
If the luminare is supplied by way of a lighting coupler such as a ceiling rose I see no point in providing an earth to the fitting. If it is connected directly then the presence of a cpc is likely to be present in the cable. If at some point the fitting is replaced with a unit which requires an earth then the means of providing this should be readily accessible so if a ceiling rose is employed it should not be inaccessible.
The luminaire is an outside light mounted on a rendered wall

essex

Forum Mentor
I agree it is a bit crap and there may be a specific regulation that states all cables shall be terminated correctly somewhere in the regs but someone else may be able to assist there. That is of course if the CPC has just been cut off short - which is likely.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.