Discuss New build outside light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Noting one should never say never, I can't believe a new build with no CPC at the light fitting. It's very likely there but has been cut back at the end of the grey sheath rather than spend 10 seconds terminating it properly.

Some manufacturers provide their lights with a short 2 core flex, but any cabling I do always has CPC.

If the light is double insulated then ADS is not applicable so the earth to the point is a non-starter.

A double insulated piece of electrical equipment does not need an earth run to it.

If the luminare is supplied by way of a lighting coupler such as a ceiling rose I see no point in providing an earth to the fitting. If it is connected directly then the presence of a cpc is likely to be present in the cable. If at some point the fitting is replaced with a unit which requires an earth then the means of providing this should be readily accessible so if a ceiling rose is employed it should not be inaccessible.

Essex, what happens in my son,s case, when he is changing the existing light fitting for a different one. Is it just tough luck, you will now need to run in your own earth now ?
Seems a bit shabby for a new build.

Essex, what happens in my son,s case, when he is changing the existing light fitting for a different one. Is it just tough luck, you will now need to run in your own earth now ?
If the luminare is supplied by way of a lighting coupler such as a ceiling rose I see no point in providing an earth to the fitting. If it is connected directly then the presence of a cpc is likely to be present in the cable. If at some point the fitting is replaced with a unit which requires an earth then the means of providing this should be readily accessible so if a ceiling rose is employed it should not be inaccessible.
The luminaire is an outside light mounted on a rendered wall

I agree it is a bit crap and there may be a specific regulation that states all cables shall be terminated correctly somewhere in the regs but someone else may be able to assist there. That is of course if the CPC has just been cut off short - which is likely.

It happens a lot in here. ;-).

Class 2 equipment does not rely on ADS (Automatic Disconnection of Supply) for fault protection so 411 is not applicable.
the equipment may not need a cpc, but the cable to it does.

I agree it is a bit crap and there may be a specific regulation that states all cables shall be terminated correctly somewhere in the regs but someone else may be able to assist there. That is of course if the CPC has just been cut off short - which is likely.
Yes I will check that next time I,m up at their house. We babysit once a week, they live 55 miles away from uf !

Reply to New build outside light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock