Discuss New build part p ans being registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all

My in laws are having their new build wired bur the company are not part of anybody such as nic eic
They are on about self certifying their work and noy notifying building control....is this possible?
Or would building control need to come and have a look?

If there not using a scheme to certify they need to notify LABC, this is a more costly route. LABC usually send a scheme registered electrician to oversee the work throughout 1st, 2nd fix stages.

Are your in-laws in England or Wales?

Different rules apply elsewhere.

They can get another Electrician to certify the work and give building notification. Scheme companies as in NIC will say you can not certify somebodies else's work, but you can by law.

Depends on the company, if they are competent and can prove that to your LBC, and their competency is accepted. The notification will come with approval of the new build planning permission.

If they’re not members of any competent persons scheme, then you won’t know if the rewire is safe or not, or if they know what they’re doing and I doubt any of the certifications will valid either. If I was your in-laws I would sack them and get another CPS registered electrician to complete the rewire.

If they’re not members of any competent persons scheme, then you won’t know if the rewire is safe or not, or if they know what they’re doing and I doubt any of the certifications will valid either. If I was your in-laws I would sack them and get another CPS registered electrician to complete the rewire.

I'm not sure I agree with much if any of that statement.

Agree, why stress.
I believe in covering you back, does it hurt to get in an certified electrician. Unless they can get there own work tested and inspected by a third party.

my post only applies when planning consent is already in place. i.e. BC are involved anyway. theit £300 fee is to raise a building notice, but this will already have been done as part of the planning approval.

So going by your reply, if an Electrician of a certain age, does not belong to a Scheme, He/ She shouldn't be doing rewires because he doesn't know what He/ She is doing, well judging by some of the questions asked on the Forum, neither do some of the Domestic Installers who "belong" to a Scheme. You get it 5 weeks on a DI course, Pass some meaningless course, join a Scheme, get yourself registered with one of the CP outfits, laughable.

my post only applies when planning consent is already in place. i.e. BC are involved anyway. theit £300 fee is to raise a building notice, but this will already have been done as part of the planning approval.
Just thinking that if BC send there own electrical inspector, he will be part of a scheme anyway. So it would make sense to get the work done by a registered spark anyway. Am I right in saying this.

agreed. competent towork in a nuclear power station, but not considered competent to fit a shower in a house. ridiculous.

So going by your reply, if an Electrician of a certain age, does not belong to a Scheme, He/ She shouldn't be doing rewires because he doesn't know what He/ She is doing, well judging by some of the questions asked on the Forum, neither do some of the Domestic Installers who "belong" to a Scheme. You get it 5 weeks on a DI course, Pass some meaningless course, join a Scheme, get yourself registered with one of the CP outfits, laughable.
You are right but this is more about what the Law wants.

Just thinking that if BC send there own electrical inspector, he will be part of a scheme anyway. So it would make sense to get the work done by a registered spark anyway. Am I right in saying this.
BC don't need to inspect if they accept that a non-registered spark is competent.

by rocketing the costs to sparks being in a scam, part pee has had the opposite effect of what is was designed for. more and more cowboys, no certs.bodge jobs, cost being the king with your general punter.

What exactly is the City and Guilds Qualification you currently hold Fitzy?

Reply to New build part p ans being registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock