Discuss new build regs re led downlight fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Are there any regs relating to installing downlight light fittings in a new build house? Do the light fittings have to be fire rated throughout the installation? Do any electrical accessories installed within partition stud walls have to be modified to comply with any fire regs? thanks

It depends on the building make-up... if this is a false ceiling with the original ceiling still fully in tact then no, if its the true ceiling and the barrier of a possible fire spreading to an area above then yes you are required to maintain the fire rating of any material you breach and with recess lights this can only be done with fire rated self sealing fittings.

The problem is that this usually applies to 90% of installs but the wholesalers and big DIY stores peddle the non-fire rated versions out by the tonne so more often than not public safety is put at risk indirectly, Im in the strong believe all recess fitting should be fire rated regardless.

As its family related I think regardless of the in ands out of the requirements I personally would be trying to give them 30mins - 1hr possible extra escape time in the event of a fire in a room below where they sleep.

324 posts in one year doesn't make it look like you are retired and doing a 1 off job!
i like to read post here and take an interest with whats going on , as over the years as you know , things have changed a great deal. There was no part P when I was on the tools.

PS I'm not retired, but not working as an electrician

Reply to new build regs re led downlight fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net