Discuss New Build Testing... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Is there a time limit this has to be done in? Basically I did a bit of work for someone who was building a new house but not all of it, it was finished by a relation of his, unfortunately I didn't know at the time he's a bad payer! He's now been living in this house for 6 months and whenever I have phoned him he says he won't pay me until the house has been tested. He has no intention to have it tested at all, I know this as he told someone that.

Last edited:
Send him a recorded delivery letter saying you want payment in full. You are prepared to test any any reasonable time in the next three weeks with one weeks notice, (change times to suit yourself but make them reasonable) but refusal of access to test does not remove his obligation to pay. When he does nothing a second letter about three weeks later saying you will take him to county court if not paid in seven days. Then take him to court. You could also mention in the first letter that you have to inform building control that the installation has not been tested/finished and no certificates have been/will be issued.

Good luck

This is going to sound a bit crap but you are not allowed to hold a test cert to 'ransom' over payment of a job.

You have to test the install regardless as by not doing you will be contravening our regs and also LABC.

I know this first hand from a long time ago.:hippy:

Was the electrical work all yours, or was that finished off by someone else? If the latter I would say you're not obliged to test something that was not yours, with the likelihod that your work was affected by the follow-on. Presumably that someone wasn't Part-P, which gives you another titbit for building control.

PJ

Thanks for the replies. Basically a mate of mine started it then when he moved away asked if I'd finish it off for him so I did. Anyway after a couple of payments the guy started comin' it and not payin' so I refused to do any work until it was sorted out. Next thing I know he says he'll just get a relative to finish it so I said I had no problem with that but wanted paid. He then said he wouldn't pay me until the sparky had finished the house and tested it. I've been phoning him for the last 6 months asking when I was getting paid but he keeps saying he'll pay me once it's tested and that he was gettin' a company in to test it...

Why not ask building control the same question
There is some sort of time limit on their power to enforce the law,so better get your act together if you want Labc as a stick to beat him with

W*****s like this are why I mainly sub-contract to larger firms. I would personally make a point of pursuing as far as the courts to try and get a CCJ which will hurt the freeloaders credit rating. However you must cert your own work, with a 'locked down' description of extent.

Sounds like you're in a difficult position. Did you have any form of agreement with the guy about the scope of your work, payment, etc?

You should point out to him that no one can sign off your work, assuming it was past first fix and that you have to tell building control that you are not being allowed back to complete testing for the part you have done.

I sure am in a difficult position. Was only a verbal agreement we had. He's just an absolute chancer and if I'd known this I wouldn't have done the work for him. Doubt I'll ever get the money, which is annoyin' as 400 quid is better of in my back pocket than his! Hopefully karma bites him in the a##e as supposedly this ain't the first time he's done this.

Last edited:
My advice speak to the local building control office and explain the situation in full without giving too much info IE names and addresses. I assume you are registered NICEIC or Napit etc speak to them as well. Depending on the response Go back to the client and threaten to report him to building control and explain he could be prosecuted for failing to comply with building regulations. As far as your concerned You were not allowed to finish the installation as you had intended. and any additional work completed by the relative is not your responsibility. At best he pays up front and you finish off at worst he gets in big trouble with LABC.

My advice speak to the local building control office and explain the situation in full without giving too much info IE names and addresses. I assume you are registered NICEIC or Napit etc speak to them as well. Depending on the response Go back to the client and threaten to report him to building control and explain he could be prosecuted for failing to comply with building regulations. As far as your concerned You were not allowed to finish the installation as you had intended. and any additional work completed by the relative is not your responsibility. At best he pays up front and you finish off at worst he gets in big trouble with LABC.

Can't Building Control also insist that it all gets ripped-out if it hasn't been notified etc?

Reply to New Build Testing... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net