Discuss new builds regarding MCS paperwork & any payments in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marc8

-
Reaction score
Hi all
just been asked today to price for 2 blocks of flats with landlords supplies having solar pv. (not the flats)

also 60 new build houses with solar pv & solar thermal.

colleague doing solar thermal & is MCS for that.

he mentioned that would need MCS paperwork for build control for each house & also there are no payments
(FITS) for the new builds.

if the above is correct what part of MCS paperwork would be required & for what just to say it has been installed to MCS standards?

any help would be appreciated sorry if this has been covered.

testing paperwork aside BS7671, & PV Calcs & cert.

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly then my guess is that the architects are using solar to meet, in part, the requirements of the new Part L Building Regs which will be coming in from April this year and BC will want to see the MCS Certificate for each install in order to confirm that the installation is compliant. You would also have to provide the user documentation for each system as required by MCS standards.

Hi TedM & Ian-LS

thanks for reply's TedM that about sums it up for the job, looks like full paperwork for each property then as they can claim FITS as Ian-LS has mentioned.
when the contractor told me there was no payments for the solar PV could not see what parts of paperwork would be required. many thanks lots of paperwork.

just had drawings through for flats they give between .20 & .55 of Kwp for each unit
first block 2.0kw system "North Facing".

second block east facing 2.5Kw system.

I think you need to have a serious chat with these people, they are designing the system for you and will design it badly, try and talk to them and offer your expertise, if they don't like it, I'd walk away:)

If they are installing panels just to meet Part L of the regs then the developers won't care where the panels are on the roof or if they are giving the maximum potential for the space available. They just want to tick the box with the least effort or cost.

If there is no other option than North and you have highlighted the reduced yields for the orientation against a Southern aspect and they are still happy to go ahead then crack on with it - a job's a job at the end of the day!

If they are installing panels just to meet Part L of the regs then the developers won't care where the panels are on the roof or if they are giving the maximum potential for the space available. They just want to tick the box with the least effort or cost.

If there is no other option than North and you have highlighted the reduced yields for the orientation against a Southern aspect and they are still happy to go ahead then crack on with it - a job's a job at the end of the day!

yeah, BUT make sure they've made allowance for the lower SAP rating for the north facing system, as they may well not have done, and could come unstuck when they get the final SAP rating for the building if they've not increased the system size to compensate.

hi Guys

thanks for the advice, we are changing the aspect to the south face with their permission, only installing the amount they have specified as we would be to expensive for the works otherwise.

Reply to new builds regarding MCS paperwork & any payments in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net