Discuss New career skills advice and feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

ptr1786

Hi guys i'm 25 and have been looking a retraining as a sparky i've done some research and have a grasp of the basics I had a meeting with a guy from new career skills today I've been offered a place on their course it will cost me £6795 I am aware that colleges can offer this sort of thing alot cheaper but at the cost of spending 2-3 years at college which i cant afford to do as I still need to work. the course NCS offers city and guilds level 3 (2382) (2377) EAL level 2 and part P and 17th edition and should i wish also (2392) and photovoltaic qualifcations. what I really want to know is has anyone does this course and if so what did they think? and is it worth it?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

Also could anyone tell me what the difference quals wise is between domestic and commercial I'm sure I read somewhere not much but I'm not sure. also just for the record I do understand that with this course I will not be a fully qualified electrician as such as I wont have the experience and have no expectation of starting my own business straight out of the box I am realistic about what to expect from this. incase it intrests anyone the course consists of up to 400hours theory depending on ability and a minimum of 20 days practical work 9am-5pm.

Also could anyone tell me what the difference quals wise is between domestic and commercial I'm sure I read somewhere not much but I'm not sure. also just for the record I do understand that with this course I will not be a fully qualified electrician as such as I wont have the experience and have no expectation of starting my own business straight out of the box I am realistic about what to expect from this. incase it intrests anyone the course consists of up to 400hours theory depending on ability and a minimum of 20 days practical work 9am-5pm.

thats only 50 days worth of theory with 20 days practical thats just over 2 months training and at nearly 7k that a lot of money

are their any other course providers you would recommend I'm in newcastle upon tyne. This course is laid out so that it can be done along side a full time job time frames are between 6-18months for completion 9months being the average the 6months has been done but by someone who was not in a job living off the redundancy money so really is unrealistic due to the time they had available to study. I know this is what i want to do i just dont want to jump in feet first and spend a large amount of money on somthing that is cheaper else where and offer just as good or better. I'm planning on visiting and electrical company i know through my current job in the morning to get some more perspective on this course and to check that the qualifications on offer will offer me the opportunity for a job at the end of this. As i say i dont want to jump in feet first with unrealistic targets and expectations.

id look at other posts,you have lads who have spent good money on the same type of course and are willing to work for free,personally i dont recommend you do it

I'm prepared to work for free on my days off to gain and see the practical side aswell i am well aware that doing this course will give me what i need to go right i'm and electrician off i go, i'm well aware thats not how it works at the end of the course i need to work for an already estabilshed electrician for atleast a year to put what i get from the course into the real world this course will give me the quals but not the experince and they can only show you so much in a training center i dont have unrealistic goals on what to expect at the end of this.

Hi guys i'm 25 and have been looking a retraining as a sparky i've done some research and have a grasp of the basics I had a meeting with a guy from new career skills today I've been offered a place on their course it will cost me £6795 I am aware that colleges can offer this sort of thing alot cheaper but at the cost of spending 2-3 years at college which i cant afford to do as I still need to work. the course NCS offers city and guilds level 3 (2382) (2377) EAL level 2 and part P and 17th edition and should i wish also (2392) and photovoltaic qualifcations. what I really want to know is has anyone does this course and if so what did they think? and is it worth it?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

in a word NO its not worth it, if you want to be a qualified spark you need to do the 2357 as mentioned, before or alongside the rest as thats the tech cert you need, the rest you mention are addons. part time evenings is an option but you need to put 3 years aside for that .

for gods sake dont spend nearly £7000 on the addons, do the tech cert first.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I know this post is old now but I'm looking to change careers currently working for nhs. But have a passion to become a qualified electrician. I have seen the 2357 course being advertised by at a wooping £6899 for 20weeks. Now being a father of 3 this is a lot to fork out and just wondering if there is a cheaper way? Thank you for your time

Reply to New career skills advice and feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net