Discuss New Career Skills in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

headshrinker

hi! i'm 24 and want to become an electrician. i've been looking round the web for a while looking for courses and although its very expensive, this seems to be the one that offers the most.

i was wondering if anybody had completed the course with NCS and whether you would recommend it

Thanx!

Must have missed this first time round.

Can you post the link or fill us in on the details?

Found this old book of matches a while back. It doesn't sound very promising in today's economy.

New Career Skills {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Oh, so cruel mdshunk! :)

Give us some background headshrinker.

Do you work? Live with parents? Married? Kids? Own home? Mortgage etc?

This will help with what route may be more beneficial to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The website is www.NewCareerSkills.co.uk.

The qualifications you get are:

• The 16​
  • th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - City & Guilds 2381

[*]
    Electrical Portable Appliance Testing - City & Guilds 2377

[*]
    CSCS Site Safety cards

[*]
    Appointed Persons 1st Aid HSE recognised

[*]
    EAL certificated Domestic Installer Scheme – EMTA Awards Limited

[*]
    Level 3 Certificate in Electrical Inspection, Testing and Certification of Installations – Cit & Guilds 2391*
you get 4 weeks of practical training and this for £6000!!

i'm 24 and still at home but desperate to do a job where i'm not stuck in the same place all day! my parents have offered to help me out paying for it

i know it hasnt got the 2330 qualification but do the other ones make up for it? thanx!!

Have you ever worked on a site before?

Reason I'm asking is this:

You decide you want to go ahead with the course.
Pay £6,000
Hopefully, pass the course
Get a job
Decide it isn't for you.
Bum.

Personally, I'd look into:

Getting a job onsite as an electricians labourer see how you like it. If it goes ok, look into your C&G2330 at college (either day release, one day a week or 2nights a week) for 3yrs. You still live at your parents so that takes some pressure off you.

As for the actual course you've posted, I haven't heard anything of them but the courses seem ok, though you'd want 17th Edition now NOT 16th.

Hope this has helped?

If not, keep posting your questions. We'll answer them.

My thoughts on what I've seen are:-

2330 is accepted as the basis for an electrician to have for installation purposes. The courses and qualifications offered appear comprehensive but as Bane says it's a hell of a lot to pay up front and fail or find it's not right for you.

This is hard for me to say but, I agree with Bane :)eek::eek::eek:). Try working with a local sparks as a mate or labourer and enrol on 2330 locally. If you want to try things out before you commit yourself fully ask round your local sparks and see if they want any free help at weekends. Explain to them why you are doing this and someone will take up your offer.

OK so you are giving up a few days of your time but that's better than mucking up the rest of your life or spending out a fortune for nothing.

Good luck with whatever you decide, keep us informed.

Hi mate i did the very same coarse found it very good . people there were friendly and helpfull only problem i lived miles away which meant i had to pay for b&b as well made it even more expensive

You dont want to run before you can walk. The quals you are quoting are fine and will enable you to eventually to do jobs for yourself and produce certs but you need a proper grounding first IMHO. I was in the same boat as you a few years back and glad i opted for the 2330 in the long run, it can be a bit longwinded at times but sometimes its good to know why before you know how.;)

hi! i'm 24 and want to become an electrician. i've been looking round the web for a while looking for courses and although its very expensive, this seems to be the one that offers the most.

i was wondering if anybody had completed the course with NCS and whether you would recommend it

Thanx!

Hi Mate,

on this course at the moment and its going well, a bit heavy going on occasions but no complaints I would reccomend this course

Andy

hey,
id defiantly say do the 2330 l2 first. it teaches you everything from a very low level, it's the best foundations to whatever you want to do. it is long, but if you find a job as a mate while you study you're in the best place to put theory into practice. your boss might even pay for it.

If every apprentice starts off with it eh 2330 this must prove something.

there is places that offer it to do distance learning too, bridgewater college and stratford business school, these are colleges so they dont charge £254000!!!

I did the course and im very unimpressed with the training recieved!!! Now doing a course at my college. £5000 down the drain.

Hi

I'm thinking about changing my career and learning a trade. I've always been interested in electrics and I'm not fazed by hard work and training. Doing my research on-line NCS looks to be a pretty good training company. I work at the moment so going to college isn't an option for me.

The one area I am worried about is the support they offer to help you get work or start your own business. They very much dress up how much you can earn and how easy it is to get work but I took it all with a pinch of salt. If someone could give me a feel for how much they help and how quickly you can get up to a reasonable level of work that would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is extremely expensive had to give up before could even do first training day and had spent £2400. Emails to tutor were not returned, very interested in money first! Now looking to see if can recover excess paid over the cost of a set of books and a folder!!

Last edited by a moderator:
to ways the collage way which takes longer but is cheaper, the the quick course with cost 4times as much

i recently completed the NCS course. NCS have found me two work experience placements, both unpaid but very valuable. The second placement may lead to a job later in the year. Also i sucessfully joined the NICEIC, and have set up as a sole trader using the NCs marketing material, I anticipated a slow start but £80 profit in 2 months is very low. I think NCS are really making an effort but the economy is so bad that I don't know anyone in any business that is doing well. I contacted the tutor for advice on two occasions and received a prompt reply. other tradesmen have told me that it can take two years to get a business to make a good profit

Reply to New Career Skills in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock