Discuss New career/training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andymac5

Hello everyone. I was trying to get some information about becoming an Electrican, I was hoping that I could get guided in the right way.

First off I'm 32 and working at the moment.

What sort of training/courses do I need to get started.

Can I go straight into an aprentiship, and work my way up to be fully qualified.

Also what sort of time scale would everything take.

I would be graefull of any help, thanks.

You need to be contacting local colleges to get the best answers. An apprenticeship could take up to 3 years, and you would need an employer at some time during the process. There are various funding methods, but you will still need to ask locally. If you call your nearest college and ask to speak to one of their careers advisors, they should point you in the right direction, or put you off. The only negative i can foresee, is that if you do go down this route, then once you are qualified, you could be 40 before you have any experience to speak of. So when it comes to looking for work at 40 to 45, you may have 8 to 10 years experience, and could be competing for jobs against a 30 year old with 10 to 12 years experience, so who do you think would get the job?

Cheers...............Howard

Thankyou for the reply. I can understand what you are saying, and thats a good point to think about.

So After the 3 year Apprenticeship, would i be fully qualified. I know i wouldnt have the exerience like you say, but i would be able to enter a full time job after the Apprenticeship? or even gain a full time job with the company that the apprenticeship is with.

Reply to New career/training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net