Discuss New ceiling lights wiring help. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tiddler

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a bit of help if you can. I have 2 ceiling lights to replace and was wondering if someone could tell me where I should be attaching the different coloured wires in the new light. The 2 old lights I'm replacing have slightly different wire setups.

The first pic is the first old light.
The second pic is the second old light.
The third pic is the new light connection.

Any help would be much appreciated, thankyou.

Attachments

• New ceiling lights wiring help. 20220107_160206 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220107_160206.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 39
  • New ceiling lights wiring help. 20220107_161258 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220107_161258.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 38
  • New ceiling lights wiring help. 20220107_164006 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220107_164006.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 37
Your new light fittings require an earth, the green wire but your existing lights have no earth present.

The recessed very-old-style connection box will have an earth terminal, which MAY provide an earth, provided there is an earth in the wiring - which means it needs testing to check, rather than assuming it is earth.

Note also there will likely be a permenent live terminal in the recessed box (perhaps accessible only on the other side), so it is imperative you don't mix that up with the earth, which would be quite dangerous!

NB: the recessed box will likely be screwed to a timber noggin between two joists, with the fixed wiring terminated on the other side. Hence the short fly-leads in odd colours (like orange) from the terminals to the newer ceiling rose.

Last edited:
As said above, an earth as part of the supply wire is essential for the light you are trying to fit.
There also appears to be something a little odd about the existing wiring. The live wires appear to be orange, rather than red, and there's no sign of the outer sheath of the cables (which should come all the way into the fitting.
If your wiring really does not have an earth wire present, it's time to consider some re wiring, since it must be well over half a century old.

I think the original lights are wired in conduit… just a hunch.
There is space to make a joint in the conduit box and just bring a single live, neutral and earth into the fitting where they would connect into that silly little box.
Doesn’t help that you may need an earth wire in the supply.

Is your new fitting metal, plastic,?

I think the original lights are wired in conduit… just a hunch.
There is space to make a joint in the conduit box and just bring a single live, neutral and earth into the fitting where they would connect into that silly little box.
Doesn’t help that you may need an earth wire in the supply.

Is your new fitting metal, plastic,?
It's metal

You are going to need an electrician to verify if the metal conduit box behind the rose is effectively earthed and if so how to connect an earth to it, depending on age it should have a threaded connection point.

Reply to New ceiling lights wiring help. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock